The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Percy Orlando Rush KRRC R/39927

KevinBattle

Hi, does anyone have any details of the Service record for him?

Private Rush was in the King's Royal Rifle Corps and his number was R39927.

Rush was a worker in the laundry industry according to the 1911 census and the reports about the murder in 1931.

Daisy Wheeley was his wife's maiden name (never referred to by name in all press accounts and although the police interviewed her, there is only a note that she said she did not make up a new bandage for him as he claimed) .

She died in 1937 in her 40s, though from natural causes, presumably because there are no reports in the press about an accident/suicide. They lived all their married life in Kensington; Rush did not change his address from 1923-1947,

From Wiki: The Vera Page case was an unsolved murder case from the early 1930s. Vera Page was born in 1921 in Notting Hill, London. On 14 December 1931, Miss Page was reported missing by her parents in London. Two days later, her raped and strangled body was found in the bushes by a house at Addison Road, about a mile from the victim's own house. The police thought she had been murdered somewhere else and then dragged into the growth alongside the road. The remains were examined by Sir Bernard Spilsbury. He discovered coal-dust and candle wax on the girl's body, as well as a piece of ammonia-stained finger bandage. Over a thousand people were questioned about the Vera Page case, and Percy Orlando Rush was the prime suspect. Rush was a forty year-old married man, who had often been seen lurking about the district on evenings. Furthermore, he had recently had a bandage applied to his finger and he worked with ammonia in a nearby laundry. Unremarked upon at the inquest was the fact that he had been previously found guilty of exposing himself to girls. He was never officially charged with murder. No one saw him with Vera on the day of her death, though his movements were never verified. He died in 1961.

The above information can be verified by The Kensington News and Kensington Post of 1931-1932, and by the Metropolitan police file on the case held at the National Archives. It seems to have been quite a talking point, as Percy was booed when leaving court, so public opinion must have been running high, yet he stayed in the Addison Road area in London at least until 1947

My friend has just written a book about Unsolved London Murders so would appreciate any details of his Service Record in WW1. The main evidence against him appears to have been the piece of ammonia soaked finger stall found on the body of this 11 year old girl. When questioned, Rush had a new finger stall which he claimed his wife had fixed for him.

A long shot, but if I don't ask, I'll never get ANY info!

Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Kevin

• 8 years later...

5a7805decfa7a_percyorlandorush.jpg.8941df0610825c9199a04b9b156f9cb0.jpg

The above is Percy Orlando Rush .. born 1891 .. died 1961 ... this is your man.  

I assume you have noted the BW&VM medal roll that says 3rd and 4th Battns KRRC. Both in Salonika from late 1915. 4th to France in mid-1918. He has just the pair.

3rd and 4th Bns KRRC were in 80th Brigade 27th Division in Salonika based in the Struma Valley. The division is credited with the following:

30 September – 2 October 1916: the capture of Karajakois
3-4 October 1916: the capture of Yenikoi
17 November and 6-7 December 1916: the battle of Tumbitza Farm

14 October 1917: the capture of Homondos

All of these actionstook place in the Struma valley.

After the 4th left for France the 3rd took part in the the final offensive 1-30 September 1918 that lead to the defeat of Bulgaria and ultimateley the end of the Great War.

Unfortunately none of the actions above in the Struma valley were undertaken by 80th Brigade; Karajakois and Homondos were 81st Brigade and Timbitsa Farm was 82nd Brigade. I will check my books tonigth when I get home for more information.

I can confirm that 3rd Bn took part in the final advance.

Checked the official history no mention of 4th KRRC but 3rd get a mention for actions in January 1916 to blow up bridges on the Angista River south west of Drama in the Struma valley.