The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

12th Cavy?

KIRKY

Hi

have been shown a medal to an Indian man , it is the BWM and is engraved with his name and number and 12th Cavy.

Is this Cavalry and if so does anyone know anything about it?

He mentioned in passing that he did not think the guy ever left India so if this was the case would he get a BWM. This is the silver version.

Tony

Hi

anyone add anything to this?I need to know where they were?

If they never left India would they still be entitled to a BWM? And anything else?

12th Cavalry served in Mesopotamia. They would have been issued War & Victory Medals. The WWI medal records for the Indian Army were destroyed so you will never know what this sowar was entitled to.

Steve

p.s. it is very common to find single medals to Indians. Few complete trios survive and most pairs have been split. In India the silver medals are valued but the Victory Medals are not. It is usual to find a BWM with an IGS, but any star or victory medal has gone astray. I collect medals to Indian Cavalrymen and there are many single medals available to buy.

Guest stevenbec

Is that the same unit as the 12th Reserve Regt.

On a question I asked about Maj Clive Dangar 13th Hussars I was told that he had served in the 13th Hussars in the Boer War but went to the 12th Reserve Rgt in 1913.

Does that mean he went to Indian to that Regt?

S.B

Guest Jeff Floyd

I think the Reserve Regiments of Cavalry were al British units. In WWI, they were holding units to funnel trained replacements to the units most in need.