The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2 Soldiers postcard

shinglma

this was amongst a batch of postcards I bought on ebay last week.

Could anyone identify the regiment and the names of the soldiers listed on the back of the card - I make the surname as Ryan.

Any thoughts?

post-1-1082796223.jpg

and the back of the card

post-1-1082796294.jpg

HI

Top name is definately archie short for archibald and I will go with Ryan for the surname then it says standing and gives his age and bithdate. Next one mmm could be allwin? Tricky that one agin it says seating and age next birthdate.

Looking at the boots crops and equipment plust the small cannon on the cap I would say a couple of drivers in the Royal Field Artillery.

Regards

and the back of the card

Soldier:Sitting: If one compares the "a" in Ryan with the "a" in the middle of Christian Name it would appear to be "Alban" A nice Olde English name!; That said there are {apparently} No Alban Ryans in the 1901 Census{@ least not entered as Alban}But three Archibalds & an Archie{Alban could have been Bastardized by the PRO Copiers into "Albert",of which there are a number,Also the Photo was taken in Paddington there were many Ryans there in 1901;including an Archibald & an Albert [though very young!},The Artillery Gun badge being worn in the Cap of {we'll call him "Alban"}doesnt look like a Cap badge & the Cap appears to have an "Edge" trim to the Peak?Looks too well cut for an ORs?The uniform looks Volunteerish? Or is it just me?:::NB::Following the very helpful observation from Joe Sweeney ref:the Australian Sunburst Collar Badges:See continued thread below,I think weve cracked it for you, :lol:

The Uniforms are Australian.

You can also just make out the sun burst collar insignia.

They are part of the Australian Artillery..

Joe Sweeney

"Joe Sweeney,Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:11:59 +0000] The Uniforms are Australian.

You can also just make out the sun burst collar insignia.

They are part of the Australian Artillery.."

:unsure: Bl**dy Marvellous These Aussies!! What A Brilliant Site!; a quick check of the Australian Memorial Nominal Roll gives:~ Both Australian Field Artillery:~

11607,Gnr;Alban John Ryan,2nd Division Ammunition Column; 15.09.15; RTA 20.05.1919

&

11527 Gnr Archibald Michael Ryan,5th Field Artillery;Brigade; 5.11;1915; RTA;20.05.1919 &..................... wait for it awarded the MM!!!!!!!!!,so that looks promising!!!..especially given the extra initials on the Postcards Archie M.J.Ryan & Alban J.J.Ryan.Looks like these are your Men.............Next!

Guest Pete Wood

Well done, Guys.

Ryan, Archibald Michael Joseph

Service Number: 11627

Unit: 5th FAB (105th Bty)

Service: Army

Honour / Award: Military Medal

Date of London Gazette: 23 February 1918, page 2435, position 9

Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: 25 July 1918, page 1588, position 64

Fantastic job chaps - to find out so much about these men is wonderful

makes the card a wonderful find - will definitely put it in pride of place.

Thanks to you all

Mike