The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Allan Mallinson, The Making of the British Army

bootneck

Teco were flogging this at reduced price last week; unfortunately I had the family watching.

Mallinson writes in the Tottygraph; his articles are always well-written and readable (and I normally agree with them), if that's any recommendation.

• 2 months later...

Just finished this book.

For someone not imbibed in history or the British Army I found it very informative, interesting and very readable.

To me it's probably more factual than opinionated and I would have liked a bit more of his opinion having read all of his historical novels.

But there are some very good factual stories in there.

It was new to me who was the Regiment involved at Rourkes Drift. Just goes to show that films don't always portray definitive facts.

I'd be interested what the WW1 experts on here think about the chapters concerning that period.

I'm glad I read it.

Oh, I got my copy from a library in Singapore. They had two copies available.

I won't say much as I'm going to review it for publication and musn't presage that, but in essence don't treat this as a general history of the British Army, more a treatise on professionalisation and professionalism.

• 3 years later...

Just got round to finishing this (been on the shelf a good while) and must say I enjoyed it.

Easy to read and not at all pretentious. It never pretended to be a deep insight in my view but connected a few dots for me and gave me some angles, especially on the late 1800's, which I badly needed.

Would recommend it.

Regards

Dave