The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Digging Up Plugstreet

Martin Brown

Richard Osgood and I have just published "Digging Up Plugstreet" (Haynes).

It presents results to date of our archaeological researches on Salisbury Plain and at St Yvon. It includes work on Anzac 3 Div, the local population in the post-war landscape, and excavation of human remains of a young Australian soldier, as well as trenches and bunkers galore!

The book is aimed at the interested reader, so is not a heavy academic archaeological site report.

There are one or two issues with images, including a photo of New Zealanders captioned as Australians, but that wasn't our fault, somehow images got swapped between galley proofs and publication. Otherwise, we hope it makes a real contribution to conflict archaeology and Great War studies.

Best

Martin

I should add that this book has benefitted from the input of numerous other Forum chums both as part of the excavation team and as people who have freely given of their time and expertise to answer the historical questions put to them by the archaeologists. Without their contributions (and they know who they are) this book would be the poorer.

I feel that our project and the book underline the fact that archaeology works best when it is a collective exercise!

Martin

Martin - any chance you could get some of your guys together and run up a podcast discussing Battlefield Arch. in WW1 context. I would love to hear some of the views and anecdotes which would come out .. and I am sure there would be plenty of downloads from this forum alone.

There is a dearth of good history downloads on iTunes and specifically a famine of WW1 stuff.

Hi Desmond

What an excellent idea.

I will talk to Angela, who is part of our NML film crew and see what we can do.

There is a short film clip on the blog, if that helps.

Regards

Martin

I have this book and have had it a few weeks now, I like the quality of it and think the photographs are good.

Mick

Martin

thanks for bringing this to our attention and well done - there aren't enough Great War archaeology titles out there :)

Good for Haynes as well; not the sort of thing they usually publish.

Ian