The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bibliography of American units

Walter Kortooms

Hello,

Is there some sort of Bibliography of histories of American units (divisions, regiments etc) of World War One?

Also does anyone know what happened to The Digital Bookshelf? It doesn't seem to be operating anymore.

Is there another source for digital copies of unit histories?

Thanks,

Walter

You could try A Guide to the Sources of United States Military History by Robin Higham, Hardcover, ISBN 0208014993.

Hi Walter,

Your best bet is probably (expensive though!):

United States Army unit and organizational histories : a bibliography / James T. Controvich. Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2003. 2. v. v.1. Pre-World War I, v. 2. World War I to present.

Also worth a look are two general bibliographies I find handy:

The United States in World War I : a selected bibliography / Ronald Schaffer. Santa Barbara : Clio Books, 1978. (224 p.)

A subject bibliography of the First World War. : books in English, 1914-1918 / A.G.S. Enser. 2nd ed. Aldershot : Gower, 1990. (412 p.)

Older stuff of interest:

United States Army unit histories / by George S. Pappas. Rev and updated by Elizabeth Snoke and Alexandra Cambell. Carlisle Barracks, Pa. : US Army Military History Institute, 1978- v. <1-2 >

Histories of American Army units : World Wars I and II and Korea conflict with some earlier histories / compiled by C.E. Dornbusch. Washington : Dept. of the Army, Library and Service Club Branch, 1956. (310 p.)

Hope these are of use.

Cheers,

Gerald.

Also Walter,

For digital full text histories have a look at : www.archive.org. The search below brings up about 150 full texts:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=wo...diatype%3Atexts

and also check out: www.gutenburg.org

Cheers,

Gerald.