The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can anyone recommend an Illustrated book for 1914

dunmore44

Can anyone recommend a decent, illustrated book for the BEF during 1914

I have seen a few books listed at Amazon, can anyone recommend these or others:

1. The British Army of August 1914: An Illustrated Directory. by Ray Westlake

2. 1914, by Lyn Macdonald

3. Mons Star: The British Expeditionary Force 1914 - by David Ascoli

Lyn Macdonald's book is a good basic narrative of 1914 which has the bonus of having many extracts from interviews with veterans which illustrate and enliven the narrative. It's one of a series which cover the entire war. it's generally reckoned to be a good read, I certainly found it so when I first read it.

Dave Swarbrick

'The Mons Star' by David Ascoli was published in 1982 - very readable, decent maps and supporting illustrations with plenty of eye witness accounts.

'Farewell to Leicester Square - The Old Contemptibles 12th August to 20th November 1914' by Kate Caffrey published in 1980 has considerably less illustrations but is worthy of reading. Contains a useful two page bibliography for further reading material re the opening stages in 1914.

Alternatively you might wish to start with David Lomas' book 'Mons' number 49 in the Campaign Series produced by Osprey followed by 'First Ypres 1914' number 58 in the same series. Plenty of illustrations, excellent maps, orders of battle for both sides, wealth of detail providing a good overview.

Philip

Would also recommend,

The Old Contemptibles : a photographic history of the British Expeditionary Force, August to December 1914 by Keith Simpson (Allen & Unwin, 1981).

Pretty hard to get hold of, but one of the best on the campaign along with David Ascoli's already mentioned.

''Farewell to Leicester Square - The Old Contemptibles 12th August to 20th November 1914' by Kate Caffrey published in 1980 has considerably less illustrations but is worthy of reading. Contains a useful two page bibliography for further reading material re the opening stages in 1914.

One of the first books I read many years ago that got me going on this WW1 path.

Regards

Arm

Lyn MacD is a good starter.

Already mentioned by Paul -

I also delve into my copy of 'The Old Contemtibles, A photographic history of the BEF - August to december 1914' by Keith Simpson (1981). Some excellent photos including those of 1st Queen's in August 1914 and again in November. From 1000 to less than 100 in 3 months.

steve

There is also The Old Contemptibles by Robin Neillands . Contains 23 illustrations including a couple I've never seen before

There is also the Crofton Diaries Ypres 1914-1915 edited by Gavin Roynon . Interesting account of beginning of the war from the Diaries of a cavalry officer . Many very good photos and some maps .

I have a book called '1914: Glory Departing' by Edward Owen (Buchan and Enright, 1986), which is quite basic, but seems to cover all the ground in 170 pages. Don't know if it's still in print

There is also Barbara Tuchman's 'The Guns of August', which is viewed as something of a classic

cheers Martin B