The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gunner Sidney Lewis RFA 1900-1966

Brian Buck

His son has contacted me and is trying to find what Division, Brigade or Battery his father served in. He has a photo of him in uniform taken at North Walsham, Norfolk in 1916. His army records were among those burnt in WW2.

Guest Pete Wood

Does it work in blocks of numbers in the RFA; if you take someone with a really close number? Would they have been posted to the same unit....??

Name: MARSHALL

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "C" Bty. 62nd Bde.

Date of Death: 13/10/1917

Service No: 223457

Additional information: Son of William and Hannah Marshau, of Nottingham; husband of Rose Maud Marshau, of 15, Wycliffe Grove, Mapperley, Nottingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. A. 28.

Cemetery: LARCH WOOD (RAILWAY CUTTING) CEMETERY

That makes the above chap, part of 12 (Eastern Division), which included the Norfolks and Suffolks and Essex Regiments etc.

I'm asking, not presuming......

Ian & RT,

Thanks for your help so far. I have had a bit more info from Mr Lewis. He has sent me a copy of part of the Medal Roll for the RFA that includes his father and four others (Lord LJ 223471, Lightfoot GH 223472, Sylvester FW 223476 and Webster P 223477).

Sylvester is listed as 310 Brigade RA (he was discharged in 1919). Mr Lewis asks if it is likely that the others were also in 310 Brigade as their numbers are all close?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Not necessarily - the only way to be sure is to do a search for their service records. If it transpired that they were, then perhaps a search of the war diary.

When you 'number crunch', you have to be careful as you occasionally get ' a fly in the ointment', so really all you would be talking about are probabilities rather than definites. IMHO.

Ian