The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Kaiser's Battle

David B

Just finished reading a book which has been on the market for at least 35 years, picked it up in a second hand book shop for 8

bucks, with the book in very good condition. Martin Middlebrook is reported as saying that this was the best book he had written,

and I can vouch for that, the details was tremendous. One reads many reports that the British troops did not perform well that

day (Mar 21 1918) but when you are told of the overwhelming number of troops facing them, the massed gunnery barrage, the

gas and the fog it would appear that in the main they did the best that they could in the circumstances. If it is obtainable at local

librariies grab it, 'tis a good read

David

I was at a talk of Martin Middlebrooks over 10 years ago and he said that the 'Kaisers Battle' was ten times better that his 'First Day on the Somme' book and sold ten times less.

Sean

Probably the title which I would think, would not catch the eye like the First Day on the Somme"

David

Agree with David . I much preferred The Kaisers Battle but Martin Middlebrook like Rose Coombs helped start my interest in in WW1 when I visited the Somme battlefield . I suspect I was not alone .

Maurice

David,

Does the book have any reference to the 22nd London's at all ?

I am researching a chap and have just found out he was missing on 22nd March 1918 and later confirmed as a POW...

Neil :D

Neil,

Sorry delay, didnt visit this section this morning. The index only refers to the 2/2nd Londons which I assume is not your unit and the 15th, 18th, 23rd and 24th Londons.

David

Neil,

my apologies, the appendix that gives the order of battle for Allied forces under the 47th div (2nd London) a mention is made of the 1/22nd

Londons. If you can supply a name I'll have a scan again and see if there is any mention.

David

Funnily enough .. the MIlitary History channel was showing (repeat I think) of the 'Line of Battle' docu on 'The Kaiser's Battle' last night. Pretty good stuff, if a little too kind to Gough (IMHO).

Gough has enjoyed a 'hard done by/scapegoat' rep with many latter day historians ... yes he had limited resources, time etc .. but he was far from blameless in this episode.

Des

Des,

you never know it may appear out here one day. I have had a habit of trolling through the second hand book shops lately and boy, you can pick up some

wonderful stuff. Three the other day "The Great War'by John H Morrow, and two Boer war books (one by W S C) - all still in their dust covers total price 38

dollars (about 18 pounds), each would cost 50 bucks new. Now all I have to do is find some time for reading them.

David

We have a great discount bookstore called 'Bargain Books' and 'Banana Books' over here .. some great titles in there from time to time but you have to be lucky.

We have a great discount bookstore called 'Bargain Books' and 'Banana Books' over here .. some great titles in there from time to time but you have to be lucky.

"Neil,

my apologies, the appendix that gives the order of battle for Allied forces under the 47th div (2nd London) a mention is made of the 1/22nd

Londons. If you can supply a name I'll have a scan again and see if there is any mention.

David "

David,

Many thanks for this.... He is Sergeant R H Sharpe but it wasn't just detail on him personally that I was hoping for (although that would be a Godsend)

I'd be made up with any info on the 22nd London's during that day (22nd March). I have searched through my own (not so impressive) book collection but have nothing on them for this period.

Thanks again for your help

Neil