The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte 42581 Harold Smith, 2nd Btn West Yorkshire Reg

Guest bilwilbow

Guest bilwilbow

Brand new member - please excuse possible breaches of convention or etiquette.

Trying to find tangible or visible traces of my wife's grandfather's death (even an approximate, unmarked location) other than already visited wall inscription at Pozieres.

Research to date has established that on the above date 23rd Infantry Brigade was outflanked in vicinity of Caix. Orders to withdraw were apparently received by 24th and 25th Brigades but not by 23rd, which experienced heavy casualties.

I believe my need to be for more detailed information on the fate of the 23rd Brigade and, more specifically, the 2nd West Yorks.

I understand that Lt-Col Lowry of the West Yorkshires was captured but later escaped, and I wonder if he may have written memoirs.

Any suggestions for lines of research would be appreciated. You will know where we want to get to - a place where he probably met his end, an unknown soldier's grave - whatever.

Welcome to the Forum-you've came to the right place looking for answers!

I'm sure someone here will try and lead you to where to look!

gordon

Bilwilbow

Welcome to the forum.

The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-1918, by Everard Wyrall, might contain some useful information. If you look at ‘Unit histories’ in the ‘Documentary repository’ section of the forum, a couple of pals are offering to do lookups.

Regards

Mark

Bilwilbow

It looks like you have as much infomation that is in Wyrall's West Yorkshire Regiment in the War.

But i will give you the locations as in Wyrall's book from the 26th March.

26th March; Rosieres(holding the line upto the railway)

27th March;(railway West of the station)

28th March(9.30 a.m.) Recieved orders to withdraw from Rosieres to a point East of Caix. "Retirement of Battalion carried out under moderately heavy barrage,numerous casualties)

(11.30 a.m.)Caix Reached took up defensive positions.

(2.00 p.m.) Germans advancing in great strength. "Heavy sshell fire swept the position"

(5.30 p.m.) Germans in the trenches, fighting withdrawl. Battalion reorganised at Cottenchy.

Cottenchy is between 10 & 12 miles West of Caix and only the remnants of the Battalion reached the village.

Between the 23rd and the 31st March the 2nd Battalion's casualties were; 6 officers kia, 12 officers wonded of which 2 later died of these wounds, 1 officer wounded and taken POW, 1 officer missing. Of other ranks 31 kia, 178 wounded and 373 missing.

Lt-Col Lowry is not mentioned for this day and the only officer mentioned as taken POW is Lieut.C.A.Tempest. But it states that the Battalion was reorganised at Cottenchy under Second-Lieut Thackray, so somthing had happened to the other officers that is not mentioned.

Hope this is of some help,

Regards Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bilwilbow

THANKS........

to Gordon, Mark, Kevin for your interest and assistance - also to those who may be researching but haven't posted. Have been abroad on holiday - hence lateness of acknowledgement. Most grateful. Will follow up on leads offered.

Bill