The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Subalterns War - Charles Edmonds

Ravrick

Hi, I recently read the book A subalterns war by Charles Edmonds, he states all the names, including his, have been changed.

Does anybody know his true name, the Bn was the 1/5th Royal warwicks. The copy i have is a 1929 edition dedicated to Pvt J P Bradley KIA - the CWGC gives date of death as 4th Oct 1917 which fits in with the date his batman "stanley" was killed. The author was awarded a Military Cross in 1917.

Cheers, Rick

His real name was Charles Carrington and he wrote another excellent book on his WW1 experiences under his own name and titled Soldier from the Wars Returning.

Charles M

Very many thanks, I found his book fasinating, being an ex soldier and having walked the areas described, La Boiselle in particular, allowed you to feel as if you were there, an observer looking in....

Cheers, Rick

He Left New Zealand to live with relations in Hampshire with intention of going to University. However, the war started. He moved up to Birmingham because his uncle was a Territorial Officer in the 5th Royal Warwicks. He was an original volunteer to the 1st Birmingham Bn, but only undertook a few weeks training before being commissioned into a Yorkshire Battalion and then, perhaps with help from his Uncle, transferred to the 1/5th Royal Warwicks.

He also wrote the 1/5th Royal Warwicks War History in the 1920's.

Terry