The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MPs in the Great War

Yorts

Many MPs lost sons in the Great War and these are mentioned in The House of Commons Book of Remembrance 1914-1918. Regards. Dick Flory

Ivor Phillips was MP for Southampton, a chum of Lloyd George and ended up in command of the 38th (Welsh) Division until relieved of his command by an unhappy Haig after an unsuccesful attack on Mametz Wood, 7 July 1916.

The Welsh finally captured the bulk of wood on 10 July 1916 (fighting continued sporadically for several days) suffering over 4,000 casualties in doing so.

Phillips returned home to Wales and awaited the further orders of his country - which I don't think ever came. He was seen as lacking drive by Haig.

Bernard Lewis

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW
Harold MacMillan won an MC

Captain Harold Macmillan (Grenadier Guards, later Reserve of Officers) did not win the MC. I remember reading his memoirs, and he mentioned that he did not receive any gallantry awards- only "the trio".

However, Brigade-Major Robert Anthony Eden (21st Battalion KRRC) was awarded the MC for saving a fellow soldier's life in 1917 (Messines, Passchendaele?). I have also seen where Major Eden trained: Duncombe Park, Helmsley.

Also, The Earl of Attlee (Conservative Peer) served in the recent Iraq War- he is a TA Officer.

And just to add note, if conscription came into force, Tony Blair would most probably refuse to serve on the grounds of pacifism. They don't make PMs like Churchill, Macmillan, Heath etc. any more (soldiers as well as statesmen).

BELL, Captain, WILLIAM HENRY DILLON, 1st King Edward's Horse. 31st July 1917. Age 33. M.P in New Zealand. Son of the Hon. Sir Francis Bell, G.C.M.G., and Lady Bell, of Wellington, New Zealand.

Not a British MP but fought in a British Unit.

Jacky

Jacky, I have found out some more about William Henry Dillon Bell

His photo follows.

He was the eldest son of the Right Hon Sir Francis Dillon Bell- Prime Minister of NZ.

Born 1884, was Member of Parliament for Wellington Central when war broke out.

He and his youngest brother Cheviot Wellington Dillon Bell both studied law at Cambridge University and belonged to King's Edward's Horse Reg't.

William first served as a staff officer to Colonel Logan in the Samoan Expeditionary Force. He was the first NZ MP to go to war. He set up the new administration in Samoa. He proceeeded to France in mid 1915 to join his regiment, was twice mentioned in despatches and eventually on 31 July 1917 he was killed in action.

The 3rd son, Ernest Dillon Bell, served in the NZ Mounted Rifles in Egypt & Palestine.

The 4th son, Cheviot Wellington DB held a commission with King Edwards Horse. He saw action in France, then trabsferred to the RFC, and the 10th Royal Hussars, became a captain and was mid.

I wonder who the 2nd son, who did not serve, was, and how come he didn't!

the 2 daughters of the family, Enid and Violet both served overseas as well.

Enid at the NZ Hospital at Walton on Thames then in the Women's Royal Naval Service, becoming a driver and being awarded a BEM

Violet served at the NZ Hospital too , then at 1 NZEF Base Records in France, and she received an MBE

post-1-1089090179.jpg

PS the 2nd son , Francis Dillon Bell, died as a child. born 1882, died 1897

So all the living children served!

I went to a do last month at the Houses of Parliament and by St Stephens entrance there is a memorial to all those who died...

Unfortunatley the security stuff is right in front of it!

John

Only just caught up with this one.

Many years ago I worked as a researcher in the H of P and used to pass the war memorial almost every day. It is incredible how many died both in WW1 and WW2. The House has an archive, and no doubt if they were contacted would be able to provide a list.

A while ago I researched one of the youngest (?) MP to die in either world war, Captain George Charles Grey, who fell in Normandy and is still buried on the spot where he fell in a 'field grave' that was never moved in after WW2. The memorial is even made from stone from the House of Commons! See:

http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/grey_memorial.htm

post-1-1089200520.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lieutenant Colonel the Hon. Guy Baring, MP for Winchester since 1906, Killed in Action whilst commanding 1st Bn Coldstream Guards 15th September 1916.

He is burried in the Citadel New Military Cemetery Fricourt.

Peter

More current politicians with military service:

Julian Brazier MP was (still is?) for many years an officer with the Parachute Regiment's 10 (V) Battalion. This unit was reduced and amalgamated into 4/PARA a few years ago, so I'm not sure if he's still active.

David Davies served with one of the TA SAS squadrons whilst at university -23 SAS I think.

Cheers

Paul.

Came across this grave at Cairo (new protestant) war Cemetery today. Viscount Lieutenant Michael Hugh Hicks-Beach of Quenington fell at Katia 23rd April 1916. He is listed as MP for Tewkesbury.

The grave also contains his wife who died a month before him in Cairo. She was 32 he 39.

The gravestone is about 6ft by 3ft. Anything else known about him?

post-1-1092862052.jpg

As an aside, on CNN last night viewers were asked in a poll about the importance of previous military service in any US presidents resume. Obviously this was in connection with the Bush vs. Kerry battle currently being waged.

Here in Canada military service by a politician would probably be looked about as something to be ashamed about! Vimy Ridge was a long time ago. It is more important now to be a bilingual lawyer from Quebec!

Hicks-Beach ancestor may have been a major player in Zulu or Boer War?

Wolseley - then the top dog in the British army - was not his best friend.

From memory.

May have been Sir Michael Hicks-Beach?

Desmond

I think this was his father:

Sir Michael Edward Hicks Beach, 9th Baronet

born Oct. 23, 1837, London, Eng.

died April 30, 1916, London

British Conservative statesman who was chancellor of the Exchequer (1885–86, 1895–1902).

The son of Sir Michael Hicks Beach, 8th Baronet, he was educated at Eton and at Christ Church College, Oxford. Succeeding as 9th baronet in 1854, Hicks Beach became a Conservative MP in 1864, remaining in the House of Commons until 1906. He held minor office under Benjamin Disraeli in 1868.

It seems Michael was the family forename.

Note the date of death is just one week after the son (who died a month after his wife). 1916 wasn't a good year for the Hicks-Beach family.

Just seen this thread and i am amazed that a politition would do an unselfish act and volunteer to fight for his country especially when there was obviously nothing in it for them-------- i would have thought they would have all ran for the hills------------Totally gobsmacked--------perhaps things were different in them days.