The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hubert Champion Osborne, 29bn, AIF

Ian Underwood

A fortnight ago I purchased the 14/15 Star for #54 Pte Hubert Champion Osborne of the 29th Bn on Ebay. Being such a low number, I assumed (quite incorrectly) that he must have been a Gallipoli veteran and was pleased when I snapped it up for a bargain - but I had'nt done my homework.

The AWM site lists him as having enlisted 12 July 1915 and embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT Ascanius on 10 November 1915. He returned home on 23 March 1917. He was a bugler with the HQ band

Any ideas why he has such a low number for one who enlisted in July '15. Most of the other men who'd enlisted in the same month, on the same page of the nominal roll are numbered in the 3000-5000's. Was there much rhyme or reason to the numbering of men, or is that a loaded question?

I should note that I'm still pleased with the purchase...

ian.

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

The Australian Army had Regimental numbers not Army or Service numbers as now.

So for every Regiment/unit raised the numbers would start from 1 onwards.

This Bn was raised on the 22nd July 1915 in Victoria as part of the 8th Brigade.

This Brigade arrived to late to fight on Gallipoli and was incorperated into the forming 5th Austrailian Div in March/April 1916 to go to France.

Hope this helps.

S.B

Ian

Just to add to what Steve mentioned, this chap would have been an original of the 29th Bn.

While in Egypt this Bn formed part of the Suez defences and didn't get to the Western Front until June 1916, and a month later at Fromelles got hit very hard.

Because of their casualties in this battle they didn't take part in another battle for quite some time. They continued to hold the line at Fromelles until October 1916 when they were shifted to the Somme around Flers. They were active in this neighbourhood for a few months and then took part in the chase when the Germans evacuated towards the Hindenburg Line.

It was either members of the 29th or 30th Bn who were the first to enter Bapaume.

For the rest of 1917 the Battalion took part in the battles of 2nd Bullecourt & Third Ypres and in 1918, helped stem the German attacks on the Somme and during the August 1918 attack.

If you are interested the 29th Bn history 'Black and Gold - A History of the 29th Battalion' is available from the author through the following website

http://www.slouch-hat.com.au/

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew and Steve. I haven't been able to make a post until today, otherwise I would've replied earlier.

I should've realised the 29th Bn wasn't present at Gallipoli, as I have a number of books here that list the units involved and when they landed etc. Had I'd known, I probably would'nt have bought the medal, but now I'm pleased to have a reason to look up the 29th's exploits in France. A nice impulse buy.

The Australian Army had Regimental numbers not Army or Service numbers as now. So for every Regiment/unit raised the numbers would start from 1 onwards.

I am still a little confused, does this mean that each particular infantry Bn or ALH Regiment (for example) started it's numbering from 1? My partner's great uncle served at Gallipoli with the 2nd FCE with the number of 85 - so would this mean that in essence there were a host of number 85s serving with the 1st AIF?

Ian.

Guest stevenbec

Yes Mate.

When every Bn or LHR was raised they all stated with 1.

This also not only includes FAB's, but AASC, MG Companies and FCE. This went on in the raiseing of the Pioneer Bn's in 1916.

What the trouble was in the AIF was when a soldier would transfer between units as there would be two men with the same number. This was fixed by putting an "A" at the end of the new blokes number, I have seen numbers with letters up the "C" on them, meaning there were four men with the same number in that unit.

What is also surprising is that in some cases more then one man with the same name would have the same number but be in different units.

S.B