The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Buffs and Royal West Kent's

Neil Clark

Hi Neil

I have a copy of Historical Records of the Buffs 1814 - 1914 by CRB Knight.

I also have a copy of the Buffs medals rolls for South Africa, it covers both the QSA and KSA and was produced by SC Dartnall of Sevenoaks. There are about 3000 men detailed as it covers the 2nd and 3rd Battalions and the volunteer companies.

I can do look ups in either for you. Are you interested in particular soldiers or actions?

Regards

Steve

Hi Neil

I have a copy of Historical Records of the Buffs 1814 - 1914 by CRB Knight.

I also have a copy of the Buffs medals rolls for South Africa, it covers both the QSA and KSA and was produced by SC Dartnall of Sevenoaks.  There are about 3000 men detailed as it covers the 2nd and 3rd Battalions and the volunteer companies.

I can do look ups in either for you.  Are you interested in particular soldiers or actions?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

My Great Grandfather was:

PRIVATE 5819 William Charles CLARK. Second Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment).

He saw action at DRIEFONTAIN, PAARDBERG, TRANSVAAL, RELIEF OF KIMBERLEY.

I'd be intrested to know if he appears on the listing you have.

Many thanks Steve.

I do not have a digital camera at the moment. Can anyone else go to the old drill hall on the Watling Street in GILLINGHAM and post a photo on here?

Michael,

I bow to your expertise. It sounds to me that you are indeed a Buffs Buff. By the way, I often fish the Medway from a boat at Lower Halstow. Are you local?

If I get a chance I will but I think the building is already quite tatty and I am not sure what credit I will be able to do it.

Also I may not get around to this for a couple of weeks so if anyone else can supply the photos before then, it might be for the best.

Steve,

Could I trouble you to also check in the QSA/KSA rolls for:

3051 Cpl. A. Hayward. I recently purchased his IGS 95 medal and I know that there is a QSA out there somewhere. IGS says he is 1st Bn but I'm not sure if he transferred in to one of the other battalions.

Thanks,

Matthew

Several years ago (5 or more?) a pretty knowledgeable old chap at the Buffs museum in Canterbury directed us to a Major ..................... then in residence at the barracks in Canterbury. Unfortuantely we were unable to follow it up at the time but it may be an avenue worth exploring.

Shelley

Neil

Your great grandfather is shown on the medal roll as being entitled to a QSA with bars for Relief of Kimberly, Paardeburg, Driefontein and Transvaal and KSA with both bars. The roll shows him as having served with the 5th Company mounted infantry. He is shown on the roll as 5819, Clarke W, Pte. There is note to say his regimental number have been 5806, but I guess that is not the case.

Matthew

3051, Hayward A. Cpl. is shown on the medal roll as serving with the 2nd Battalion and being entitled to a QSA with bars for Relief of Kimberly, Paardeburg, Driefontein and Transvaal and KSA with both bars. The roll also notes that he was M.I.D. in Lord Kitcheners final despatch on 23 June 1902.

The QSA medal roll is WO/100/167 and the KSA roll is WO 100/319.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

Thank you very much for that. That was most helpful, and a very quick response too. Now off to find the despatch.

Much appreciated.

Matthew

Steve,

Found the despatch online. I have a further request.

Please could you check in the rolls to see if there is a 3605 Cpl. F. Hayward listed in the Buffs.

Despatch mentions him and not my man.

Wondering if the compilers of the roll made a transcription error or they put the wrong man in the despatch!

Her's hoping my man's the M.I.D.

Thank you once again.

Matthew

Neil

Your great grandfather is shown on the medal roll as being entitled to a QSA with bars for Relief of Kimberly, Paardeburg, Driefontein and Transvaal and KSA with both bars. The roll shows him as having served with the 5th Company mounted infantry. He is shown on the roll as 5819, Clarke W, Pte. There is note to say his regimental number have been 5806, but I guess that is not the case.

Matthew

3051, Hayward A. Cpl. is shown on the medal roll as serving with the 2nd Battalion and being entitled to a QSA with bars for Relief of Kimberly, Paardeburg, Driefontein and Transvaal and KSA with both bars. The roll also notes that he was M.I.D. in Lord Kitcheners final despatch on 23 June 1902.

The QSA medal roll is WO/100/167 and the KSA roll is WO 100/319.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

Many thanks for that. Where exactly did you get that info from and where can I get a copy of it. Its helped me because I couldn't understand why my GT Grandafthers medals have 2 different regimental numbers. What exactly was the mounted infantry?

About a year ago I paid someone to try and locate his records. I spent over £100 to no avail because other then confirming the QSA/KSA Medal rolls, nothing else was found.

I have a photo of him in 1915 wearing a Buffs uniform yet according to my family he did not serve in the Great War.

Bit off topic - but it is to do with the Buffs...

If this works a photo of the front of the ATC Centre on Watling Street should appear below ...

post-2-1084045943.jpg

Hi Matthew

I have found 3605 Pte T Hayward, shown as serving in the 5th Company mounted infanty, no mention of an MID.

I have also looked in Historical Records, 1814 - 1914, Appendix H Medals, Decorations and Rewards and there is a Cpl F Hayward shown as MID but no service number is given.

I guess the compiler must have made a mistake, sorry for getting your hopes up.

Regards

Steve

Apologies for the size of the pic ... I have just spent about 40 mins trying to find how to downsize photos but obviously something has gone wrong.

Now that is impressive Signals!

QUICK OR WHAT...

I understand that this was the local West Kent's drill hall during the Great War. Soon to make way for 60 odd new houses.

This Buffs mini forum is becoming quite a hit with members! Maybe every regiment should have its own page?

Steve,

Thanks for that information. Well, it's not a disaster as you've kindly given me his entitlement and the possibility of a M.I.D. .

Depends on where the Historical Records looked to get there information- the despatch may have mentioned the wrong Hayward. There's an awful lot of names mentioned on that despatch.

I'll have to delve further into this. Being optimistic and full of wishful thinking I know, but I can still hope.

Regards

Matthew

Neil,

I think that in principle it would be a good idea for each regiment to have it's own link and I suppose that the ability is there for someone to create such a mini forum for 'their' regiment as you've done. On the other hand it might get quite confusing with all the different discussions on the one link, as would inevitably happen. There definitely seems to be a healthy interest in the Buffs at least.

Having seen that photo I wish that the Invicta badge could be saved at least, even if the building is condemned. Shame it can't all be saved.

Matthew

Now that is impressive Signals!

QUICK OR WHAT...

I understand that this was the local West Kent's drill hall during the Great War. Soon to make way for 60 odd new houses.

This Buffs mini forum is becoming quite a hit with members! Maybe every regiment should have its own page?

a) Thanks for the photo - can you e-mail me a copy?

B) The mini-forum concept is good. Apart from tidying up the Forum, it pulls together all the fields of interest in a particular regiment. What does Chris think?

Thanks

Graeme

Neil

Yes I live in Lower Halstow. Let me know when you're fishing next and I'll meet you at the quay. You can get alongside at high tide next to the Thames sailing barge.

Shelley

I think the gentleman you refer to is Major Peter White who is the editor of the Regimental Association journal

I've muted the idea of a list of regimental interests before which I think is a good idea because, unlike this thread, it isn't always obvious from the title which unit is being talked about. With the vast amount of new threads, I'm finding myself glossing over titles such as 'Looking for info on Private Edwards'.

However I don't think there is scope for separate forums for each regiment. It would be nice to have something for us Buffs nuts but there are a lot of Pals interested in their regiments who I suspect would also like a section.

Maybe we could set up an interest group amongst ourselves, which I'd be happy to organise. I'm in favour of raising the level of knowledge and profile of the regiment. It seems that we've got a lot of literature and enthusiasm amongst us that should really be pulled together. Maybe an inaugral meeting at the Regimental museum. As I've stated before, Mark at the uni is working on a project which will bring a lot of the stuff together. I'll get in touch with him, because he'd be delighted that it isn't just the 2 of us that are infatuated with the Buffs !

What do you think Buffs buffs ?

Mick

Perhaps we could include those interested in the West Kent's as well and call it the Kent Regiments Mini Forum?

Sounds a good idea to me. I suppose we should ask the permission of Chris...

Having seen that photo I wish that the Invicta badge could be saved at least, even if the building is condemned.

Can't it?

I've usually found that local MPs are pretty good at getting involved with this sort of thing, if people write to them and tell them what needs doing, why and who is doing the work (eg the builder or developer).

You've got some pretty proactive MPs in Kent, though I've never had contact iwth Damian Green, so I don't know what his track record is.

Gwyn

Including the West Kents sounds very good to me too. Sadly, I wouldn't be able to jet across the Atlantic for meetings but I'd be there in spirit.

Matthew

Buff's Buff's group, forum or whatever it becomes, count me in.

Greetings all.

I am a first time user to this forum.

I am e-mailing from Canada and looking for some help on by grandfathers brother.

I have his RAF papers, and from the bad photocopy, I think I can descipher the following info:

Sidney Allan Charles Newnham

Attested as No 1608, Private RE Kent Mtd Regt TF 18-4-13

Embodied 5-8-14

Transferred to 10th Btn, E Kent Regt as No 270077 (?) Private 11-6-15

Continued service 13-4-18

Attached to RAF 6-5-18

I would appreciate if anyone would have some further info on this individual and

perhaps an idea of where this unit served.

We have his service medals in a safety deposit box at this time, although I understand the medal rolls for "N" surnames are not yet online.

Many thanks to those who can help.

Cap'n Peter

Peter

The 10th Bn was in Mesopotamia when it was formed from the East and West Kent Yeomanry.

They went to France in Spring 1918.

However, the battalion wasn't formed until early 1917 so your date of 11-6-15 is curious. Can you have a closer look to see if it is maybe 11-6-17 or 18

Mick