The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Buffs and Royal West Kent's

Neil Clark

Count me in. I think that the Royal West Kent Regiment should be included as well. I await more ideas and suggestions with interest. Has anyone considered asking Chris for permission. We don't want to mess up his excellient forum or take all the bandwidth do we?

Come in late to this.. is Thomas Highgate of Shoreham, RWK applicable? Have his attestation and trial papers.

Perhaps he is not from the area you are researching

John

I don't think we'd be using any of the site's bandwidth. I was thinking of an interest group whose aims would be to promote knowledge of the Buffs during the Great War. Our only interaction with the forum would be to answer Pals queries as we do now.

I have a spell of night shifts coming up so I'll give it some thought.

Mick

Hi Cap'n Peter

I have looked upped Sidney Allan Charles Newnham in the following regimental history:

West Kent (Q.O.) Yeomanry and 10th (Yeomanry) Batt. The Buffs by Charles Ponsonby.

I found the following reference:

Nawnham, S. A. C., served Gallipoli, Egypt and Palestine

He is lised as being posted to B Company on 1st March 1917 having previously served in the Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles.

I presume that this is your grandfathers brother despite the the spellign mistake.

Regards

Steve

Buffs buffs - we would be delighted to see any of you at the Territorial Force Study Group meeting on 12 June (click here).

The next session is about sources for unit research and is not really TF specific as it is covering medal rolls, absent voters lists and local sources - hopefully relevant to you as well.

regards

Charles

PS. My database of 19th Londons has a block of about 80 men transferred from the 4th Buffs in about April 1916. This block appear to be Derby Scheme men who enlisted in about late Nov 1915.

Peter

The 10th Bn was in Mesopotamia when it was formed from the East and West Kent Yeomanry.

They went to France in Spring 1918.

However, the battalion wasn't formed until early 1917 so your date of 11-6-15 is curious. Can you have a closer look to see if it is maybe 11-6-17 or 18

Mick

Just to confirm the dates I listed were in accordance with the RAF papers I had. Perhaps there was an error in the original noting of the dates.

I see from a later post that SteveM has found some further info.

Thank you for responding.

I hope to utililze this site to learn as much as I can about this relative.

Unfortunately we show he died in Australia in 1942. All other relatives are deceased.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Cap'n Peter

I have looked upped Sidney Allan Charles Newnham in the following regimental history:

West Kent (Q.O.) Yeomanry and 10th (Yeomanry) Batt. The Buffs by Charles Ponsonby.

I found the following reference:

Nawnham, S. A. C., served Gallipoli, Egypt and Palestine

He is lised as being posted to B Company on 1st March 1917 having previously served in the Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles.

I presume that this is your grandfathers brother despite the the spellign mistake.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thank you for the reply. Yes indeed, there appears to be an error in spelling. Newnham is the correct way.

Is it possible to narrow down the information you supplied on his postings with perhaps a timeline? Would the Gallipoli, Egypt amd Palestine all be with the 10th Bn, or would any be with the Mounted Rifles?

Cheers

Cap'n Peter

Peter

Gallipoli / Egypt / Palestine with REKMR and Egypt / Palestine / France with the 10th Bn. The Bn was formed in Egypt in Feb 1917. A and B companies came from the REKMR, C and D from West Kent Yeomanry. The strength of the Bn was 46 officers and 875 O/R's with.

Another interesting point is that they retained their cavalry rate of pay when they transferred.

Mick

I have started a poll on the subject of starting a Buffs/RWKR Mini-Forum. Please find the thread and vote accordingly.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

All quiet on the Kent forums...anybody have anything to report?

Hi Steve Garnett.

As a new recruit to the Forum I was pleased to see the Buff interest on the Forum,

and the vast amount of War Memorial research being undertaken around the UK.

If of interest/use to you with your Canterbury area researches, one of the men from Wingham, Alfred Richard Southern was born in Aldington near Ashford and is one of the men I have been interested in for a book that I am writing, due to the circumstance of his death etc he has been one of the few men to form a suitable tribute to in the book.

My reason for making contact with you is that I have purchased copies of Alfred`s Birth & Death certificates which you are most welcome to if of use.

David.

• 2 months later...
Now that is impressive Signals!

QUICK OR WHAT...

I understand that this was the local West Kent's drill hall during the Great War. Soon to make way for 60 odd new houses.

This Buffs mini forum is becoming quite a hit with members! Maybe every regiment should have its own page?

I drove past the old Drill Hall/ATC Centre on Watling Street tonight, first time for about two weeks or so. I was very sad to see that the drill hall, the subject of the photo in question, has now been completely demolished.

I'm a late arrival on this thread and although not exclusively interested in the Buffs I am actively researching the war memorials at Woodchurch, High Halden, and Appledore, all of which list a high proportion of Buffs men. So from now on I shall keep a very keen eye on this "mini forum".

Gary

I drove past the old Drill Hall/ATC Centre on Watling Street tonight, first time for about two weeks or so. I was very sad to see that the drill hall, the subject of the photo in question, has now been completely demolished.

Hi Signals,

Do you happen to know if the Invicta wall plaque was saved?

Gary

I drove past the old Drill Hall/ATC Centre on Watling Street tonight, first time for about two weeks or so.  I was very sad to see that the drill hall, the subject of the photo in question, has now been completely demolished.

Hi Signals,

Do you happen to know if the Invicta wall plaque was saved?

Gary

Gary,

Sadly I dont know the answer but hope someone had the foresight to ensure this was removed safely before the rest of teh buildings were demolished. If I do find out I will post an answer on this thread.

Jon

Hi all.

Sorry to jump into this topic, but one of you maybe able to point me in the right direction. I am interested in the Royal west Kents, but from WWII, rather than WWI. I have an account of a 1st Bn West Kent man taken prisoner in the retreat to Dunkirk and his time as a POW, and wondered if any of you knew if an old comrades association, or something similair exists, as there are several points in the narrative that i would like to investigate further.

Any help greatly appreciated

Chris

Hi all.

Sorry to jump into this topic, but one of you maybe able to point me in the right direction. I am interested in the Royal west Kents, but from WWII, rather than WWI. I have an account of a 1st Bn West Kent man taken prisoner in the retreat to Dunkirk and his time as a POW, and wondered if any of you knew if an old comrades association, or something similair exists, as there are several points in the narrative that i would like to investigate further.

Any help greatly appreciated

Chris

A few years ago their was an aged retired officer - forgotten his name - who looked after their archives. Cant say I found him that helpful but you could write to him via the West Kent's museum at Maidstone.

Cheers Signals.

Will write them a letter and see what turns up.

Regards

Chris

• 2 months later...

Would somebody please post the address of the Royal West kent Museum in Maidstone. Do you think they may be able to help me as I am unable to find the service number of my grandfather Peter John Pope who served with the Royal West kents. He was in the Boer war and then as a reservist was called up at the start of WW1. I know he had the Pip, Squeak & Wilfred medals. (Unfortunately my grandmother buried them with him) In 1916 he gives the 3rd Battalion as his regiment and says he was a Carman. I've tried the Campaign Medals web site but cannot readily identify him.

Thank you

Hi Malvern,

Here are the details you asked for:

Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment Museum Collection

Maidstone Museum & Art Gallery

St Faith's Street

Maidstone

Kent

ME14 1LH

Tel: 01622 602838

Fax: 01622 685022

Gary

Hello. I wonder if any of you knowledgeable people could direct me to books or articles on the 1st Buffs, especially relating to September of 1918 (other than Moody). Thanks a lot.

Pte. F. Hickox, # G/18753. Died 19/9/18, probably of wounds suffered in the Battle of Epehy, Hindenburg Line. Buried in Brie Cemetery.