The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Old Soldiers Never Die

stephen p nunn

Just reading Frank Richards' 'Old Soldiers Never Die'. What do Forum chums think of it?

SPN

Maldon

An absolute classic. A 'must read' for anyone with the slightest interest in the Great War - all the more valuable for having been written by an old sweat (with a few nudges from an old captain). Now go and read 'Old Soldier Sahib'.

An absolute classic. A 'must read' for anyone with the slightest interest in the Great War - all the more valuable for having been written by an old sweat (with a few nudges from an old captain). Now go and read 'Old Soldier Sahib'.

Thanks Ian - I am enjoying it. Good of you to respond in this way.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

I read this book sometime ago and my copy came from the Library System. I hope I have the right book/memory, but I was left with the overwhelming feeling that some people are just born lucky. A great read.

I read this book sometime ago and my copy came from the Library System. I hope I have the right book/memory, but I was left with the overwhelming feeling that some people are just born lucky. A great read.

Greetings USA.

Thanks. Yes I know whay you mean. I have just got to the 1914 Christmas chapter.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

An excellent book by a prewar regular and wartime reservist who knew his way round most things and could write them down intelligably. Should be on the book shelf of anybody remotely interested in the British Infantry of WW1.

An excellent book by a prewar regular and wartime reservist who knew his way round most things and could write them down intelligably. Should be on the book shelf of anybody remotely interested in the British Infantry of WW1.

Thanks Squirrell - yes I agree a really fascinating book which is very natural and makes you feel like you are there and part of it.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon.

I still hold a stock of the very best version, annotated, analysed, indexed, mapped and stuffed with photos, hardback, the book I am proudest of producing and co-editing.

Still a steady seller.

I still hold a stock of the very best version, annotated, analysed, indexed, mapped and stuffed with photos, hardback, the book I am proudest of producing and co-editing.

Still a steady seller.

Shameless. Absolutely shameless.... :rolleyes:

I plead guilty as charged ..... but there are folk joining in who do not know of the delights of St Francis, or, if they do, might buy the paperback which, shall I say, is very basic.

Be a shame if they missed out on the real thing.

And endorsed and Forewarded by the great man's daughter in the bargain.

I plead guilty as charged ..... but there are folk joining in who do not know of the delights of St Francis, or, if they do, might buy the paperback which, shall I say, is very basic.

Be a shame if they missed out on the real thing.

And endorsed and Forewarded by the great man's daughter in the bargain.

That sounds really good. I confess to just having the basic one.

SPN

Maldon.

• 2 months later...

Absolute must read ..thats it no more fan fare great book

MC

One of the best books ever by a pre war regular soldier . Would urge you to also get Old Soldier Sahib and the two annotated copies of both with a bibliography , maps appendices and explanatory footnotes . Great reading .

My favourite. So much so I bought a first editiion with dust jacket. Cost a little more than the jacket price of 7/6 though.

My other favourites in the same genre are:

The War of the Guns - Aubrey Wade (1936 - later published by Batsfords as "Gunner on the Westen Front" in 1959)

Four Years on the Western Front by A. Rifleman (the official author name, although the chap was actually called Aubrey Smith). Odhams, 1922. A History of the LRB. A very detailed diary with some vivid descriptions of gas attacks at Ypres. One of the best diariised accounts of the Western Front, I think.

M

My copies of OSS and OSND arrived from Grumpy. Excellent productions. Looking forward to rereading them with annotations, maps etc. Worth every penny.

Len

The book has just dropped through my letter box, that's what I call service. Abe Books :thumbsup:

Mike

Enjoy it Mike.

Happy Friday.

SPN

Maldon

If I am not mistaken some of the letters between Frank Richards and Robert Graves were recently reprinted in Stand To. Reading it I was reminded of the Flashman series (although fictional) I could see the two men getting along famously.

Jon