The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Transfer Between Battalions

Will O'Brien

Pals.............I am researching a chap (Pte Frank Bowles) who when he died is listed as serving with the 6th Buffs. However his MIC indicates he first served with the 1st Battalion..........This information is probably correct as his was a pre-war regular & on the reserve when war was declared.....................I am wondering if anyone can confirm whether there were any large or mass transfers between the two battalions during the period of August 1914 to May 1916 as any such information may help in pinpointing when Frank Bowles' transfer took place.

Will, some info that may or may not help from my research.

1914: 2 officers and 14 NCO's transferred from 1/Buffs to form nucleus of 6/Buffs

March 1916 - Laurence Holdstock (subject of a photo on the forum many months ago and a guess his age caption by Michael) transferred from 3/Buffs to 6/Buffs in field.

April 1916 - Charles Payne transferred from 1/Buffs to 6/Buffs in field

Sept 1916 - Ernest Finnes transferred from 1/Buffs to 7/Buffs in field

KWAK

Will

The 6th Battalion had a baptism of fire at the last knockings of the Battle of Loos which resulted in Lt Col Eaton being sent home. I'm at work so don't have details to hand but will give more detail at the weekend but due to their heavy casualties I seem to remember the war diary stating that a large draft of regulars was received.

They also suffered heavily in March 1916 at the time when the Buffs only VC (Pte Cotter) was won.

More detail later

What was the date of his death ? I'll transcribe the diary for you.

Mick

Will, some info that may or may not help from my research.

Jon...........Everything is of help & any info which adds a little bit more to the picture is welcome.........Many thanks...........KWAK :ph34r:

The 6th Battalion had a baptism of fire at the last knockings of the Battle of Loos which resulted in Lt Col Eaton being sent home. I'm at work so don't have details to hand but will give more detail at the weekend but due to their heavy casualties I seem to remember the war diary stating that a large draft of regulars was received.

They also suffered heavily in March 1916 at the time when the Buffs only VC (Pte Cotter) was won.

More detail later

What was the date of his death ? I'll transcribe the diary for you.

Mick..........this sounds very promising, particularly the info re a possible draft of regulars.........any further info on this would be great..............March 1916 & heavy casualties may also fit well with the Pte Frank Bowles story. He didn't die of wounds until 15th May 1916 but he had already made it back to England & was hospitalised in the City of London hospital. He died of blood poisoning resulting from his wounds rather than the wound itself..................Unhelpfully the newspaper report indicating where he was wounded is probably wrong. The paper states he was wounded at Eloi (unfortunately no date given) but I have already ascertained with previous help from the Pals that the 6th Buffs hadn't been anywhere near Eloi for a considerable time.