The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Statues and memorials

Anthony Pigott

While discussing (lack of) memorials to Gen. Smith-Dorrien on another thread, I found myself wondering how many memorials, e.g. statues or other significant monuments, there are to particular soldiers (as opposed to groups of soldiers or soldiers in general).

Haig is the obvious starting point.

What others are there?

Anthony

Anthony,

Memorial to Captain Francis Dodgson of the 8th Yorkshires just outside Contalmaison.

Captain Dodgson was KIA July 10th in the attack on the village.

Bob.

Tom Curran who has written about John Simpson Kirkpatrick, says that there are 5 statues or statuettes to ‘The Man With The Donkey’ around Australia, and there is another one in South Shields, County Durham. Any advance on six?

Regards

Michael D.R.

There is a statue of Haig at Clifton College.

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought of another one, though not exactly a soldier: the statue of Edith Cavell in Norwich.

Regards

Anthony

post-1-1085741847.jpg

the statue of Edith Cavell in Norwich.

And opposite the National Portrait Gallery, Tralgar Square.

Robert

I know this is not exactly what you are looking for, but I dare to waste some bandwidth by attaching this list of soldiers (and sailors, airmen, etc.) of the Great War who have individual monuments. There are photos and descriptions here:

http://www.peakfinder.com/index.htm

Notice the even handed manner that people from most of the allied nations are represented. These are fair sized monuments. Almost all are more than 9000 feet tall.

Savoia-Aosta, Luigi Amadeo di (Duke of the Abruzzi)

Allenby, Field Marshall Viscount Edmund H. H.

Filibertol, Emanuele (Duke of Aosta)

Armstrong, John Douglas

Baril, Conrad M.L.

Battisti, Cesare

Beatty, Admiral David

Birdwood, Field Marshal Sir William R.

Bishop, Colonel W.A. "Billy" Bishop VC

Blane, Sir C.R.

Bolton, Lambert Ernest Stanley DLS

Brock, Rear Admiral Osmond de Beauvoir

Brussilof, Alexei Alexeivitch

Buller, Lieutenant Colonel H.C. DSO

Burney, Vice Admiral Sir Cecil

Burstall, Lt. General Sir E.H.

Byng, Viscount Julian H.G.

Cadorna, Luigi

De Castelnau, Noel Marie Joseph Edouard

Cordonnier, General Victor Louis Emilien

Cornwell, John Travers VC

Cradock, Rear Admiral Sir Christopher George Francis Maurice

General Arthur William K.C.B. K.C.M.G.

De Wind, Second Lieutenant Edmund VC

Cavell, Edith Louise

Etherington, Colonel Frederick C.M.G.

Evan-Thomas, Rear Admiral H.

Farquhar, Lt. Col. F.D

Fisher, John Arbuthnot

Foch, Marshall Ferdinand

May, Private Francis Loren

Fryatt, Captain Charles Algernon

Gass, L.H.

May, Lieutenant George G.

Griesbach, Hon. William Antrobus

Haffner, Lt. Henry John

Harvey, Lieutenant Frederick Maurice Watson. VC

Holcroft, H.S. D.L.S.

Hood, Hon. Horace

Allan, Hugh Drummond

Jerram, Sir Thomas

Joffre, Marshal Joseph Jaques Cesaire

Kerr, John Chipman VC

Kinross, Private Cecil John VC

Kitchener, Horatio Herbert

Lawson, W.E.

Leman, G.

Leroy, Osmond Edgar

Leval, Gaston de

Lipsett, L.J.

Loomis, F.V.W.

MacLaren, Charles H. C.M.G. D.S.O.

Mangin, Charles Emmanuel

Maude, Major General Sir Frederick Stanley

McCuaig, Major General George Eric

McHarg, Lieutenant Colonel Hart

McKean, Captain George Burdon VC

McPhail, Norman R.

Mercer, Major-General M.S.

Monro

Morrison, Major-General Sir Edward Whipple Bancroft D.S.O.

Murray, General Sir A.G.

Nivelle, Robert Georges

Odlum, Brigadier-General V.W.

O'Rourke, Private Michael Joseph VC

Pakenham, Rear Admiral W.C.

Pattison, John George VC

Peck, H.M.

Pierce, Benjamin Clifford

Putnik, Field Marshall Radomir

Robertson, Sir William Robert

Roche, ?

Sarrail, General Maurice Paul Emmanuel

Scrimger, Capt. Francis A.C. VC

Haig, Field Marshall Sir Douglas

Smith-Dorrien, General Sir Horace Lockwood

Strachan, Lt. Henry VC

Thornton, Sir Henry

Turner, Lt. General Sir Richard Ernest William

Tyrwhitt, Rear Admiral Sir Reginald Y.

Watson, Sir David

Wedgewood, Arthur Felix

Williams, Major General Victor W.

Wintour, Captain Charles

Zengel, Sgt. Raphael Louis VC

James, it nice to know that General Louis Lipsett had a statue put up as he deserved one. Any General who earned Will Bird's respect was obviously a good leader.

• 4 weeks later...
Anthony

Do you know the name of the sculptor of the Edith Cavell Memorial in Norwich ?

I can't find any reference to the sculptor. The one near Trafalgar Square is by Sir George Frampton.

I'll try to find out about the Norwich one when I'm next there.

Anthony

Anthony

Thank you. I have read that a sculptor, Benjamin Lloyd, originally from Mid Wales but trained and based in London , produced a memorial to Edith Cavell but I don't know where. His signature is a "B " struck through with an " L".

Myrtle

The Norwich memorial to Edith Cavell is by Henry Pegram.

Guest dinkidi
I just thought of another one, though not exactly a soldier: the statue of Edith Cavell in Norwich.

G'day

This looks very similar to her memorial which WAS on St Kilda Rd near the Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance. Anzac Day Parades would pass the spot.

ooRoo

Pat

There are many memorials honouring single individuals, particularly from the Boer War, throughout Victoria

On the road to Chunuk Bair Gallipoli there is a vary large statue of Mustaka Kemal Attaturk, in the Turkish remembrance area there is a statue of a Turkish veteran holding hands with a small child (unfortunately can't remember veterans name) & there is a Memorial statue of a Turkish soldier rescuing a wounded Australian soldier on the first day of the landing.

I have photos of these so will scan them and post them here in the next few days.

On a WW2 vein, the City of Fremantle recently erected a memorial to Squadron Leader Hughie Edwards VC and is currenly preparing another for outside the town hall for WW2 Australian Prime Minister John Curtin who died in office before the war finished. He was the Member for Fremantle at the time. In WW1 John Curtin was a well known figure in the anti-conscriptionist movement.

Forum,

There were three bodies returned to Australia as a result of the First Great Unpleasantness.

One was a horse, a New South Wales "Waler", a mount from the Lighthorse Brigade, named "Sandy". His body was dismembered and made into various "ornaments" and distributed around Australia. His head was mounted.

The second was, of course, The Unknown Soldier, entombed at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

The third was General Bridges, who died on a hospital ship after being wounded during the Gallipoli landings, and was buried on a hilltop overlooking Canberra.

I believe there is a memorial in St Kilda to Cpl Albert Jacka, VC, MC*, who returned from Europe and became Mayor of St Kilda.

Steve Drew

There is a fine, very RC memorial to Captain HSH Wallace near Bazentin la Petit. I played some role in WFA efforts to restore it meaning only that I reported it needed it & followed up. At one point it had fallen and was taken in by a farmer & was restored with help of Paul Reed but when I saw it, more was needed.

You know the Turkish cemeteries are symbolic and the names listed are all Turkish, no Arabs or other nationalities of Ottoman Empire. I have a feeling that they became uncomfortable being asked where are the Turkish Cemeteries. This may be way off though since in the post war period they were quite busy defeating invading forces.

On a WW2 vein, the City of Fremantle recently erected a memorial to Squadron Leader Hughie Edwards VC.

In a remarkable bucking against the trend of municipal political correctness, the people of Leeds, West Yorkshire chose for their "Millenium Statue" a representation of the city's only WW2 VC winner, Flight Seargeant (Pilot) Arthur Aarons.

in the Turkish remembrance area there is a statue of a Turkish veteran holding hands with a small child (unfortunately can't remember veterans name) & there is a Memorial statue of a Turkish soldier rescuing a wounded Australian soldier on the first day of the landing.

Andrew,

The veteran’s name was Huseyin Kacmaz and according to the Holt’s guide the statue shows him holding the hand of his grand-daughter. He died on 10th Sept 1994 at the age of 108. The Turkish guide book by Huseyin Uluarslan describes him poetically as ‘the oldest soldier in the world’ * see ps.

Per Uluarslan your other photograph shows the statue of ‘Respect to Turkish Soldier’ and it illustrates an incident which was witnessed by Lt R. G. Casey, when a Turkish soldier picked up and carried a wounded Australian soldier back to the allied trenches. [Lord Casey went on to become Gov Gen of Australia]

Thanks for showing this picture the right way around – my copy of Holt’s guide book has the statue on its cover, but reversed

Regards

Michael D.R.

*ps:

Nigel Steel writing in his ‘Gallipoli’ [battleground Europe, Leo Cooper, 1999]

gives more and it must be said, slightly different details.

The caption to a photograph of the statue says

“Huseyin Kacmaz, the last surviving Turkish veteran of the Canakkale War, and his granddaughter attending the opening of the 57th Regiment Cemetery in 1993.”

And the text adds

“Directly opposite the gateway to the cemetery is a statue of the last surviving Turkish veteran of the campaign shown holding the hand of his granddaughter who has brought flowers to honour the dead. Huseyin Kacmaz served for eleven years in the Turkish army, fighting first at Gallipoli, then in the Balkans and between 1919 and 1922 the War of Liberation. In April 1991 he flew to London to attend the Anzac Day parade at the Cenotaph in Whitehall and two years later attended the opening ceremony of the Turkish Memorial here at Anzac. He died in Ankara in September 1996 aged 106.”

Edited by michaeldr

Hi Michael

Thanks for the extra information. I recall our Turkish guide saying he was the last known Turkish veteran of the conflict.

Regards

Andrew

Not a statue of a soldier but of a sailor.

DOUGLAS MORRIS HENRY HARRIS BZ/9359

Able Seaman (Wireless Operator)

H.M. Drifter "Fandi." Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Died 15/05/1917 Age: 19

Douglas died at his post while continuing to enter messages in the ships log book.

His memorial stands in the gardens of St Peter's church in the centre of Wolverhampton.

Regards Doug

post-1-1088347313.jpg