The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

American troops

christine liava'a

Were there any? How can I find out?

I am not sure.... but I would start with researching the local territory records. You might be able to get there via (http://gov.state.hi.us/) and (http://www.government.as/)

Both were territories at the time and probably wouldn't have had Nat'l Guard units. I don't think Army records would let you earch by place of origin so that might not help until you had a name to research.

Just my two cents others might be able to help more. Good Luck, Andy

Nantorium

Hi Christine,

Above is a link to some information on Hawaii's World War I Memorial Salt Water Pool which has been in need of preservation for some time but I seem to recall an article in the WFA (US) newsletter that it has received some funding for renovation.

You may want to try Andy's links but since neither were states at that time I'm not sure if they will help. The National Archives (which are rarely helpful) in St Louis mya be your best bet.

When I get home I should be able to give you at least numbers of men recruited at least for Hawaii.

take care,

Neil

The Hawaii National Guard had two infantry Regiments which were federalised on 1st June 1918 to replace the regular garrisons of Schofield Barracks and Fort Shafter which had deployed to the Continental United States. (I believe these were 298th and 299th Regts.)

I do not think they served overseas.

Between the wars many Hawaii National Guardsmen were of Japanese extraction.

I thought territories had NG units & since they did you can look for a Hawaii or Somoa Office of Adjutant General & with any luck they will have records. The situation in St Louis is nearly hopeless but National Military Records Center is there in Missouri.

I am actually looking for numbers not names, as I am trying to find the number of men from the Pacific Islands who served in some capacity. (excluding Aust, Japan & NZ). So far, not inc Am Samoa and Hawaii, it's a little over 5000

How big is a National Guard infantry regiment in Hawaii?

That Nanatorium link says that 120 servicemen from Hawaii died in WW1, so presumably a lot more served.

I do not know the size back then but adjutant general offices of states serve several purposes and one is a historical function & a person there is likely to have #s.

And Christine, here's 1 I bet you don't have Lt JB Guthrie RAF KIA 10 15 18 Tezze Cemetery, Italy, I've seen his grave and have a picture but God knows where, may be back there on Italy/Slovenia trip this fall. Headstone indicates he was Hawaii born.

I think the Phillipines and Guam also belonged to America then too. Any ideas about them?

Paul, I don't have any from Hawaii as yet! Your man is no 1!

What was he doing in the RAF?

I don't know, I can't find him in officers died damn it & don't know DOB w/o headstone, think he was 21 but not sure, stone also gives place of birth in Hawaii.

I bet nanatorium in Honolulu can give all names. He was probably born about 1898, US had effective control since at least 1893, annexed in 1898, a territory in 1900 but he could have been British, it must still have had commercial interests.

Guam Phillipines, ? don't know but yes we got them from Spain after 1898 war tho people of Phillipines revolted pretty hard, Pershing was in on suppression

My total as of now is 5678- good number!- not including any from American territories, or any from German territories who may have served in the German army.

I'm also trying to find the populations of the countries concerned at the time.

Hi Christine,

From 'The War With Germany':

Hawaii provided 5,644 men for the AEF this was .15% of the total.

Phillipines provided 255 men or .01% of the AEF

THis is only Army members I don't have navy.

In addition Laslo's Interallied Victory Medals states the Phillipines Constabulary (National Guard) had 360 Officers & 5,708 Men.

Hope this helps,

Neil

My grand total now is 478, 991, including Australia and NZ, but excluding Japan, Micronesia, American Samoa, Guam and any persons from German colonies in German forces.

Does anyone know the size of the Japanese forces?

The total population at the time was approx. 12, 786, 800 according to the figures on this site ( and assuming my addition is correct!)http://www.library.uu.nl/wesp/populstat/populhome.html

A general statement could be that about half a million people, out of the nearly 13 million inhabitants of Oceania, served in some capacity during WW1

If anyone is interested in the actual figures, contact me.

Hi Christine,

Per Laslo's "Interallied Victory Medals' Japan issued approximately 400,000 Victory medals these were issued to military personnel who participated in a battle between 23 August 1914 & 9 January 1920.

Take care,

Neil

Those Japanese medals brings the number up to 518,991, so I think the maximum would be about 525, 000

Hi Christine,

Regarding the document you posted here, a few thoughts that may have occurred or may not.

The Australian figure for deaths is between 59,330 (Official History) and 61,769 (AWM), depending on your definition. Here are the detailed figures from the Australian War Memorial Website.

Battle related deaths 53,993

Non-Battle deaths 7,727

Wounded in action 137,013

Gassed 16,496

Prisoners of War 3,647

Prisoner of War deaths 109

I'm fairly sure that the figure of 331,814 you cite for Australians serving actually represents personnel sent overseas. It includes approximately 6000 men who re-enlisted after return to Australia and were therefore embarked (and counted) twice. On the other hand the total enlistments for Australia were 412,953 (Official History VI, Appendix).

Also, it looks like your population figure for Japan has slipped a decimal place. Rather than 5.2 million, it should be 52 million (based on the Population statistics website). I can send you details on the composition of Japanese armed forces in the next couple of days.

cheers

Duckman

Thanks, Duckman. I have now adjusted the document

I can see why Japan wanted more land!