The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Foreign Field

Scrumdown

I've almost finished Ben McIntyre's "A Foreign Field" and am very interested in the German treatment of the French who by accident of birth, happened to live just behind the eventual German lines. McIntyre's book suggests that although Villeret was governed by a particularly tyrranical German officer, there was tacit approval given to asset-stripping the land and mistreatment of the people.

Does anyone know of any other books which deal with German treatment of the indigenous population?

Thanks in advance.

I know of one book in French: "La Vie Quotidienne dans la France du Nord sous les Occupations 1814 - 1944". Author Marc Blancpain, ISBN 978201008381.

I have no idea whether it is still in print. I have a very second hand copy that was given to me.

There is another book again in French which may be of interest to you. "Le Saillant Saint-Mihiel et la Règion quatre and de guerre 1914 - 1918". Author Marcel Yonque. ISBN 2-9510064-1-1

The second I have only seen on sale in St. Mihiel itself, but you may be able to get it via one of the on-line sellers - FNAC, for example. It is a real labour of love and covers everything you could ever wish to know about life in St. Mihiel at that time.

• Admin

The Long Silence- Civilian Life Under German Occupation Of Northern France, 1914-1918 by Helen McPhail. ISBN1-86064-479-1

Michelle

Thanks to both of you. My French is but schoolboy standard so unless I can get a translated version, I'm not sure those are that do-able.

Found The Long Silence on Amazon for a shade under £30 for a hard cover. Might have to save up my pennies.

Scrumdown - you can definitely get the Long Silence for less than that. I got mine for £4.99 plus postage on ebay - it's a paperback but in excellent condition!

Swizz