The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canada's Hundred Days

marc leroux

I came across a copy of "Canada's Hundred Days" by J.F.B. Livesay. I'd appreciate any impressions on the quality/accuracy of the book.

Thanks

marc

• 6 months later...

I would strongly recommend the following book on the actions of the Canadian Corps during the Last One Hundred Days ...

"Shock Army of the British Empire" by Shane B. Schreiber. Published by Praeger in 1997.

Schreiber, as an officer in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, provides a perspective from an active officer rather than one of us "armchair historians".

Hi I would seek out the trilogy by Daniel Dancocks for an overview of the Canadian Corps in World War One. Dancocks, has unfortunately, passed away, but his books are excellent reading. He moves from overall strategy to individual actions describing the role of Canadians in the war. The three are Welcome to Flanders Fields, Legacy of Valour, and Spearhead to Victory (the latter being about the Last 100 Days.) Try ABE books or some other used book service. If I was building a Canadian Corps library the official history, by Nicholson, would be first on the list, and these three, next.

Quite a while has passed since I made the original post. I've bought and gone through the Livesay book, not in it's entirety but most in bits and pieces. It was written shortly after the war (1919), contains a number of fold out maps. I found it to be quite a good read.

I'm not alone: Norm Christie gives it high ratings on his site as well.

marc

My guess would be that it is in the Canadian library system, somewhere. I did a quick search in the Edmonton library (only one I have bookmarked) and they didn't have it, bit I'm sure others do. I found mine looking through a second hand bookstore, and got a great deal on it (although it is definatly not in pristine condition).

marc

• 1 year later...

Canada's Hundred Days - With the Canadian Corps from Amiens to Mons, Aug. 8 - Nov. 11, 1918. By J. F. B. Livesay

This is a remarkable on-line document - period. I would recommend any student of the Canadian Corps download this pdf. reference document which can also be “key-word” searched for specific units and events. While there are some dated patriotic comments and hyperbole at times, this 1919 document also contains some detailed and important information on the Canadian Corps' military activities during the Last Hundred Days and its interactions with both British and French army units. Information on specific Battalions and heroic individuals is extensive. This book also provides some significant insight into the detailed battle movements of specific units with some remarkable coordinations of attacking battalion movements with artillery which was far more sophisticated than just the “rolling barrage”. There is also [perhaps the first] an outline of modern tank tactics which may pre-date the written theories of both Liddell-Hart and Major Fuller. Highly recommended.

[marc leroux Recommendation][July 2006]

http://www.archive.org/details/canada100days00liveuoft

• 1 year later...

This hasn't been touched in a while, but I thought I'd add to Borden Battery's link, just as an update. The following link will take you directly to the printable/downloadable pdf.

It's a little more "poetic" than Nicholson's official history, meaning it tends to read more as a novel, but still worth the read.

http://ia301233.us.archive.org/3/items/can...s00liveuoft.pdf

Chris

• 1 year later...

I was putting up a note to LibriVox about this book and I noticed this post in the Google Search.

My submission to LibriVox has two links to the book that may be of interest.

This is a great read,

Richard

The book that I had in mind is one of the great reference books of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the Great War of 1914-1919. It was what was to be Volume 1 of 6 Volumes but the series was cut short after the first Volume and after World War II they decided to just do a new one volume summary.

The book:

Livesay, J. F. B. 1919. Canada's Hundred Days - With the Canadian Corps from Amiens to Mons., Aug. 8 - Nov. 11, 1918. Thomas Allen, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Although I have an original copy of the book, a digital version of the book is available on the web here:

Canada's Hundred Days: at SCRIBD

and as well at the Archive.org site here:

Canada's Hundred Days: at Archive.org from UofT Collection

John Frederick Bligh Livesay was born in 1875 and died in 1944. I would therefore suggest that this book is free of all copyright and is in the public domain. Most certainly the University of Toronto would not have uploaded it if there was a problem.

The book is more of a NOVEL than it is a military reference text, although it is very factual and may only be of interest to history buffs and great war enthusiasts - of which there are thousands.

Richard

I bought my copy while I was in Ottowa, although a product of its time, it was certainly worth getting, and has been used in my PHD in Chapter one. It reamnds be to a degee of the early battalion histories in Australia and Canada, those early volumes are written without the benifit of much in the way of refrence to other works (nothing else written), and are a tribut as well as celbrating victory and peace, comparre the 14th canadian battalion with say the 2nd, the latter with more time since the event, more objective I would say and can use other sources. Canada's Hundred days may be a product of its time, but worth reading, compare with Australian histories of the same time.

Matt

Duguid is im my opinion worth reading, despite is limitations, also the new 2 volume history of the Canadian corps 1914-16 and 1917-18 (tim cook) also try shoestringsoldiers (on the 1st division in 1914/15)

Welcome to Flanders Fields,

Great book.. read it last summer.