The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arrival Dates: Divisions

Terry

I am aware of the arrival dates of the BEF divisions in France (Aug.,1914 for the first five divisions; mid-September for the 6th Division; early October for the 7th Division; early November for the 8th Division). I know that the 28th Division landed on 21 December. Does anyone have the arrival dates for any other divisions in late 1914 or early 1915, say, up to March,1915?

The embarkation date of every Division is given on The Long, Long Trail. Go to the area called "Tommies". The link to embarkations appears on the right hand side of the index page.

Thanks Chris - I should have realized that myself. So it looks like the BEF by Feb.,1915 consisted of 1st-8th Divisions and 27th & 28th, correct?

One of my reasons for asking was that I have the MIC for an ASC trio indicating a 6 Jan.,1915 arrival. Possible 28th Div?

The Canadian Division (later called the 1st Canadian Division) also arrived in France starting the second week of february. Of course, this risks bringing up our perennial question of whether or not the Canadians were really part of the "British" army. For most questions, however, they were definitly part of the British Expeditionary Force.