The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Great Silence 1918-1920

keithmroberts

This title, a social history of post-First World War Britain is reviewed here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/1...juliet-nicolson It sounds quite interesting and is available through Amazon.

Keith

I am part way through this book.

An informative read, on a subject not much covered in popular studies of WW1.

The personal aftermath of this tragedy on all nations must have been appalling. Juliet Nicholson, so far as I have read her book, has done a lot of work on this and is to be congratulated.

My recommendation- get it!

Martin

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Nov 23 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
900,000 men seems a huge amount for a peace time army. Ay idea how these were distributed?

Sorry Phil, I have not got that far yet!

Agreed Steve ! Santa will have to bring me a copy as well.

Thanks for posting the review Keith. I have been looking for an explanation concerning what pensions were available to injured servicemen from the Great War, and the review suggests that this book covers the topic.

The impression I have from my reading so far is that 1919 was quite a turbulent year. Will look forward to studying the aftermath in more detail.

I have been looking for an explanation concerning what pensions were available to injured servicemen from the Great War, and the review suggests that this book covers the topic.

Ah.. I am not too sure that it does this in detail. Essentially, it is more a social history of those years intertwined with personal recollections etc.

There is certainly mention of pensions, disabled pensions and so on, but the detail you may be after seems to be missing.

I have not finished the book yet, halfway through in fact, but regardless this is a cracking good read and I recommend it highly.

Martin

I have been looking for an explanation concerning what pensions were available to injured servicemen from the Great War, and the review suggests that this book covers the topic.

You could have a look at Joanna Bourke's "Dismembering the Male: Men's Bodies, Britain and the Great War" as well. It is a gender history of the war, mainly about those who were disabled. I haven't read it yet, but it is next in line. It does have some content on pensions, though it may not be to the detail you are looking for, but it may be a place to start.

Chris

Just ordered it from Amazon..brand new HB...£10. How do they do it? Free delivery too.

TT

• Admin

Will pick this up later as finished a book last night, and hate to be without a book.

Michelle

• 1 month later...
You could have a look at Joanna Bourke's "Dismembering the Male: Men's Bodies, Britain and the Great War" as well. It is a gender history of the war, mainly about those who were disabled. I haven't read it yet, but it is next in line. It does have some content on pensions, though it may not be to the detail you are looking for, but it may be a place to start.

Chris

I'm interested in this book...can't locate it on Amazon or Abebooks....can you help??

Jill

Amazon

Abebooks

One on Ebay for $90!

I am enjoying reading 'The Great Silence' at the moment.

Can highly recommend the Great Silence...just finished it. For me a new aspect and excellant insight to the post war world.

Well done Juliet!

TT

I have just brought for 1p from Amazon The Perfect Summer by the same author Juliet Nicolson which is about the summer of 1911. I also have The Great Silence on the reading pile

Mandy

Amazon

Abebooks

One on Ebay for $90!

I am enjoying reading 'The Great Silence' at the moment.

'Dismembering the male' has just arrived today ....it looks extremely interesting - I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the link!

Jill