The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Seaforth and A&S obits

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

I have come across a number of Ballymena men who were employed in Renfrew, Scotland pre-war. Most joined Scottish Regts. but a few came home to join up with their 'home town pals' - these are just two. Many more wounded. There must have been quite a Ballymena colony in Renfrew pre-war.

I wonder if these two appear on Renfrew's War memorial?

Private Robert Kernohan

Mrs. Mary Ann Kernohan, who resides at Queen Street, Ballymena, has received information that her son, Pte. Robert Kernohan, Seaforth Highlanders, was killed on 27th July, 1917 as the result of the explosion of a German shell.

Private Kernohan enlisted in June 1916 prior to which he was an agent in Renfrew, Scotland, for the Pearl Insurance Company. He had only been at the front for a weeks when he was killed.

Ballymena Observer, August 17, 1917

Private George Wilson

Mr. John Wilson, Laymore, has been notified that his son Private George Wilson has been killed in action.

The sad intelligence comes from his commanding officer, who states:- "I have the painful duty to inform you that your son 18523 Pte. George Wilson, No.9 Platoon, C coy. 8th Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, was killed in action on the night of 1st August.

"He was leaving the front line at the time and coming back for a rest after having fought in the advance, when he was hit by a shell and killed outright. Pte. Wilson was one of my best men, always very quiet and steady under the heaviest of fire. A man esteemed by officers and men alike. We all mourn with you in his loss and send our sincere sympathy to you in your sad bereavement."

Previous to being called up, Pte. Wilson, who was a tailor to trade, was employed by a firm of merchant tailors in Renfrew. Pte. Wilson leaves a wife and two infant children.

Ballymena Observer, August 24, 1917.

Des,

263003 Pte Robert Kernohan, 1/5 Seaforth - KIA 30 Jul 17 and buried in No Man's Cot Cemetery.

Originally Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders (4914).

SDGW says born Renfrew, enlisted Paisley and spells his name KernohaM.

He was part of a draft from the Camerons to Seaforth, probably as battale casualty replacements following Arras in Apr 17. It is likely that he arrived in France as QOCH and was transfered to Seaforths in France.

Jock

Guest Desmond6

Jock - strange one. Kernohan is a very common Ballymena name. I've never seen it spelt with an M!

Now you've got me started. Having said that, the old Observer files have proved pretty accurate all along ...

How's the secret agent? ;)

Des

Des,

I think it is a comment on the accuracy of SDGW more than anything else - CWGC has him right.

The 'secret agent' is stuck in the pending tray - the need for serious domestics after most of a month on the road is really pressing, in particular as regards clean socks. But I'll get there.

Jock

Guest Desmond6

Jock - From the CWGC - maybe the mother moved to Antrim in the itervening period?

Name: KERNOHAN, ROBERT

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/07/1917

Service No: 263003

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Mary Ann Kernohan, of The Lodge, Magheramorne, Co. Antrim.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 32.

Cemetery: NO MAN'S COT CEMETERY        

Des

Des,

I've hammered the on-line births and 1901 census for Scotland and cannot find a positive trace for this guy. Nor was his death registered in Scotland.

I'm very tempted to think SDGW is a bit screwed on this one - happy to believe he enlisted in Paisley/Renfrew but not convinced he was born in Scotland.

Jock