The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reading ideas

stephen p nunn

Dear all,

I have nearly finished 'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Frank Richards. Before that I read 'Somme Mud'. I enjoyed both of those very much. Anyone any suggestions about something I could read next (in that same kind of style).

All the best.

SPN

Maldon.

The War the Infantry Knew by Capt. J C Dunn

Dear all,

I have nearly finished 'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Frank Richards. Before that I read 'Somme Mud'. I enjoyed both of those very much. Anyone any suggestions about something I could read next (in that same kind of style).

All the best.

SPN

Maldon.

Maldon,

An indirect answer, but are you aware are that In the Footsteps of Private Lynch is released on paperback next January 21st for £7.19 including free delivery?

The Amazon link is below:

In the Footsteps of Private Lynch (Paperback)

All the best,

Ian.

The War the Infantry Knew by Capt. J C Dunn

In the Footsteps of Private Lynch

Sapper Martin: The Secret Great War Diary is just out and is a very good read. He is a wonderful diarist.

Why not try a new book?

Why not get all three using the GWF Support via Amazon & Abebooks link? I mean it is nearly that time of year that dare not speak it's name! :D I know I will - Jeremy, thanks for the tip!

All the best,

Ian.

EDIT: ....there's now four!

Edited by Ian Murphy

" With a Machine Gun to Cambrai", George Coppard.

" Her Privates We", Frederic Manning.

" The Road to St Julien", William St Clair.

" The Great Push", Patrick MacGill. 'Novel' about a stretcher bearer at Loos by a stretcher bearer at Loos.

" All Quiet on the Western Front". " Storm of Steel" for the German side of things.

" Under Fire", by Henri Barbusse is the English translation of a prize winning book written by Barbusse while recovering from wounds during the war. The French Poilu's view.

Letters of Agar Adamson - published by CEF the publishers of "Ghosts Have Warm Hands". I believe these are difficult to get in the UK I purchased both of them at the Canadian bookshop at Vimy Ridge

Over The Top: A Digger's Story Of The Western Front synopsis

Harry Hartnett was 23 when he joined-up in 1915 - here he tells the real story of the battles and the boredom, of life and death, on the Western Front in World War I. Australia's diggers didn't go 'over the top' for King and Country, they did it for their mates and their battalion - extraordinary deeds performed by ordinary men. Henry George Hartnett, known as 'Harry', joined the Australian Imperial Force on 13 September 1915 at the age of 23. He saw action on the Western Front at Fromelles and on the Somme, receiving his first 'Blighty', a wound so serious he was sent back to Britain for treatment, in the Battle of Pozieres. Upon his recovery, he returned to 'tour' the front with his battalion - an endless cycle of fighting interspersed with brief rest periods behind the lines. In this book Harry recalls the battles, the long marches, and the many amusing events that provided escape from the horrors of the battlefront. His moving descriptions give the reader insight into the unshakeable bonds forged between men trapped in situations they could never have imagined. Over the Top takes the reader on an eye-opening tour of life in and behind the trenches on the Western Front. Harry's book, which has never before been published, is a magnificent gift to Australia.

This is a highly addictive book just finished reading a real gem

MC

lg-share-en.gif

Try a different front!

What about

Across The Piave by Norman Gladden (Out of print - but you could tackle an inter library loan)

Gallipoli (aka Gallipoli as I saw it) by Joe Murray

Both excellent and engaging reads.

I would recommend "Hell's Foundations" by Geoffrey Moorhouse, and "War Letters Of Fallen Englishmen" by Laurence Housman.

Dear all,

All the best.

SPN

Maldon.

If you are looking for personal accounts then I suggest you get hold of a copy of Ed Lengel's book 'World War 1 Memories' An annotated bibliography of personal accounts published in English since 1919. It covers all the major combatants and fronts. It was published in 2004 and so is still relevant although a few of the books mentioned by previous respondents will be missing. It contains details of over 1400 books.

It does not contain fictional works or books written before 1919 and so a few classics are missing, nonetheless, it is a valuable resource for anyone who, like myself, is more interested in the diaries and memoirs of the men who fought.

The ISBN number is 0-8108-5008-7 and it was published by Scarecrow Press Ltd.

Garth

Wow! thanks all. They all sound like a really good read. I shall work my way through the!

Thanks for all your help.

SPN

Maldon

"A Long Long Way" by Sebastian Barry a novel concerning the experiences of an eighteen year old from Dublin who fights for the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Beautifully written with interesting twist on divided loyalties.

Glen

A Private's View of World War One, By Bert Bishop. Kangaroo Press 1991.

The book, non-fictional of course is based on the experiences/ recollections of Pte Bert Bishop MM, 55th Bn AIF 1915-1919, well written and a good insight to life in the trenches during WW1.

Can anyone tell me more about this link?

Ernst,

It's the link at the top of the page, to the left.

If you purchase books through this link the GWF gets a percentage of the proceeds to help funding and maintaining the forum.

Cheers Andy.

Try a different front!

What about

Across The Piave by Norman Gladden (Out of print - but you could tackle an inter library loan)

Gallipoli (aka Gallipoli as I saw it) by Joe Murray

Both excellent and engaging reads.

I can heartily recommend the Norman Gladden book - very very readable and really interesting. He also has a book about his experiences on the Western Front but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Swizz

PS This thread is very inspirational / aspirational - there are so many books here I haven't read!

You'll find enough here to last you well until your dotage: http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/biblio...moirs/index.htm

Thanks Chris - that's helpful. Who says I haven't arrived at my dotage already!!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon