The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

143303 Sapper Garnett 1 Coy., 2 RBRE

Ted368

Hi all,

purchased a large group photo of No. 1 Coy., 2nd RBRE at Chalternden? Barracks, Rochester (Kent). This is on the back in original pencil writing plus details of Sapper G? Garnett No. 143303.

I cannot seem to upload the photograph, so if interested please send me your e-mail address

Regards, Ted

How do you know it was Joseph Garnett and what does the RB stand for, i presume the RE, going by Sapper is Royal Engineers!

Ted

Guest Pete Wood

If you click here it will take you to his medal index card which you can pay to download.

I suggest you send me the photo (click on my website to get my email address) so I can resize your pic - because I don't recognise the abbreviation RBRE. Someone else might, though, or you may have the wrong letters. By the sounds of it, (you thought J was a G), the handwriting is rather difficult to read.

I wonder if the letters are R.A.R.E.....??

It is RBRE, there's no mistaking it from a sign on the large photo - anything to do with bridgeing?

He also survived the war, as he's not mentioned on the CWGC.

Photo on it's way,

Regards. Ted

Guest Pete Wood

I agree that the writing says RBRE

On the middle of the bridge, it says:

35 Party

2nd RBRE

It is Chattenden Barracks, which is also sometimes known as Lodge Hill Camp.

post-1-1083607421.jpg

RT is correct with his information, although Lodge Hill is further up the road from Chattenden Barracks. The photograph however, was likely to have been taken at the Lodge Hill training area where much of the dry bridge training took place. 2 RBRE stands for No 2 Recruit Battalion Royal Engineers. Out of interest, mid-way between Chattenden and Lodge Hill stands some of the original magazines which contained the Royal Navy's reserve stock of cordite at the outbreak of WW1. Some 100 metropolitan policemen were despatched there when war was declared because of fears of sabotage.

Terry Reeves

Could RB could stand for Road Bridging or Rafting and Bridging?

Here's a similair photo I found on the net and probably the same location?

post-1-1083663770.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

I'm not sure it is the exact same location (lack of trees) or the same design bridge.

The latter photo shows a bridge that appears much sturdier/larger, and has suspension ropes etc.

I know there is at least one Sapper on the forum, so I'm sure we'll get an authorative answer.

just a thought, lack of trees, are these the bridge!!? My photo is of 35 Party, the other is 207 Party, perhaps it's a better design and invention? I believe it to be the same location, as it is with a group of photos referring to Chattenden Barracks

Ted

Ted

See my previous reply to your post about 2 RBRE. With regards to your photo link , it was taken at Upnor Hard on the River Medway, just a few minutes from Chattenden. If you went there today, you would be able to match the photo. Chatham dockyard is in the background. The photo of the suspension bridge could have easily been taken at the Lodge Hill training area. Your original photo is a trestle bridge. The men in all your photographs were undergoing a course in field works, the majority of whom would have been destined for field companies. There were also other RE establishments at Newark, Nottingham and Ripon.

Terry Reeves