The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Date of entitlement

andyspiller

Pals

The twins (Great-Uncles) that I am researching were both Middx and one of the MICs says 2/10th Bn whilst the other just says Middx Regt. The formers date of entry 9/8/1915, the latter is 15/7/1915. Both state theatre of war as Balkans (2B) for the 1914-15 star. In a Gallipoli thread I have ascertained that only th 2/10th Bn Middx were in Gallipoli. AWGR has kindly sent me some info which states that the Bn landed at Suvla Bay just after midnight on 9th August 1915.

Could anyone therefore explain to me why one of the MICs has a date of 15th July 1915?

Regards

Andy

Could it be date of landing in another theatre of war, such as at the time Egypt was, prior to embarking for the Dardanelles?

Cheers

Richard

Guest Pete Wood

I am no expert, but I am fairly sure that some MIC's have the date that a soldier entered the theatre (9.8.15) while some have the date that the soldier departed the UK (15/7/15 ?) bound for the intended theatre.

Pals

Thanks for your responses.

Racing - the only problem is that the info I have says that the Bn embarked on the 18th July for an "unknown destination" and arrived Alexandria on 1st August.

How do we square that one :blink:

Regards

Andy