The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

World War 1 and the Question of Ulster

tommy mcclimonds

I have been waiting some time for what I believe is a "must have" book (at least as far as I am concerned) and came across it earlier today in Waterstones Belfast. I have not been able to put it down since and although a weighty tomb at 536 pages I hope to finish it over the next few days, work, wife and family demands permitting of course. Pricey at £45 but I had a couple of Waterstones cards and some points which helped ease the pain - but from what I have read so far I would have invested in any case.

The soldier himself needs no introduction to those keenly interested in Ulster's military/political history and as most of you probably already known is famous for the first line of his letter written to his wife from Hedauville on 2nd July 1916, which states -:

"I am not an Ulsterman but yesterday as I followed their amazing attack I felt that I would rather be an Ulsterman than anything else in the world."

Published by the "Irish Manuscripts Commission" and edited by Margaret Baguley. Here's a link to the official website where you can read some further background blurb for yourself. Well, I'm off to bed now with the book in question for a further few pages before lights out.

http://www.irishmanuscripts.ie/servlet/Con...blications_disp

Regards, Tommy.

Thanks for posting about this Tommy - I had no idea this book even existed! It's a pity that it's so pricey though. Am looking forward to your assessment of it.

Swizz

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in posting a review but the festive holiday commitments rather took over at the end of last year and this is the first chance I have had to sit down and type up a few notes.

What I can say up front is if you have amassed a few book tokens over the holidays I can't think of a better book to spend them on. I really enjoyed reading this book, well researched, comprehensively indexed with footnotes on nearly all pages, superbly put in context by Margaret Baguley in her introductory sections and also included are some 16 B&W plates. A credit to the Irish Manuscripts Commission who are the publishers and Brunwick Press, Dublin for superb presentation and production.

Although not an Ulsterman Spender's sense of black humour does come through in the letters to his wife in particular when writing about politics and politicians, Carson and Nugent for obvious reasons get special attention. I have read a couple of books about Carson and somehow Spender seems to make him that bit more "human" rather than the more "distant" man which is portrayed more often than not.

The Spenders wrote, sometimes quite lengthy letters, to each other nearly everyday and were obviously very close and indeed had much to discuss. The letters provide a wonderful insight into the Spenders world not just in France but in London and also at home in Ulster as well. His work as a staff officer makes very interesting reading as are his descriptions of life at or near the front. His comments about the attack of the 36th (Ulster) Division are generally already well known but one comment he did make whilst writing from Hedauville on 4th July 1916 jumped of the page at me - "but the Ulster Division will get little credit for what it has done, because there is no-one who likes to be associated with even a glorious failure." Thankfully, in my opinion, this has proved to be wrong with the building of the Ulster Tower post war and many today have still not forgotten the 36th's achievements on 1st July.

I would certainly put this book up there with Nick Perry's book on General Nugent and is one that should be on anyone's bookshelf who has a serious interest in the history of the 36th (Ulster) Division and the twists and turns of Unionist politics and politicians after the introduction of the Third Home Rule Bill. All I can say is, if you can afford it, and like Nick Perry's book, it's expensive at £45, then just sit back, read and enjoy.

Regards, Tommy.

Or slip into the Linenhall Library .. better still , ask your local library to purchase a copy. Local studies depts. would surely be interested in a volumeof this kind.