The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Spr. Maynard, Donald Stewart, 7th Bn. Cdn. Eng

Guest Vinland

Guest Vinland

Hello all, first post. I followed the link to the 'long, long, trail' but didn't find that much pertinent information as my great uncle was in the Canadian Forces at the time of his death.

From the Canadian War Graves Commission Website (www.cwgc.org), I have retrieved the following information:

Name: MAYNARD, DONALD STEWART

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment: Canadian Engineers

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/10/1918

Service No: 2010565

Additional information: Son of Archibald Sylvester Maynard and Louisa Maud Maynard, of Drumtochy Farm, Chatham, Ontario.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 4.

Cemetery: RAISMES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Locality: Nord

Location Information: Raismes is a small town on the north-west edge of Valenciennes. The Cemetery is north of the Grand Place in the Rue du Cimetiere. The majority of the Commonwealth war graves are in a plot in the north-west part of the cemetery, with the remaining four in a plot in the south-east corner.

Historical Information: Raismes Communal Cemetery contains 25 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, most of them dating from October and November 1918.

No. of Identified Casualties: 25

My question is, does anyone have any more information on him or his units action around the time of his death? I'm also hoping to contact someone in the area of Raismes for a possible rubbing or photograph of his headstone.

Alot to digest, I know, thought this was the best place to start.

Best Regards

vinland

War Diaries

Hi Vinland and Welcome to the Forum.

You Can search for the War Diary of your Great Uncle's Battalion using the above link this should give you an idea of what they were doing at the time of his death.

Attestation Papers

you can use the above link to access his attestation papers and order a copy of his service file from the Canadian National Archives.

Good Luck with your search,

Neil

Guest Vinland

Neil:

Thanks so much for you rinformation, got his attestation paper etc and page in the bok of remembrance....

Hi Vinland:

Follow this link and you'll find the 7th Bn. CE's war diary from February 1916 to February 1919. Check references 19 and 20 at the bottom of the page. Attached is the entry for October 25, 1918 where Sapper Maynard is mentioned as being killed by shell fire.

Garth

post-1-1083782395.jpg