The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

drawing fire - by len smith

dunmore44

drawing fire - by len smith

really good book and can highly recommend it

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading this myself.

An excellent book, couldn't put it down. The hardback is beautifully printed, nearly every page has a drawing, photo or doodle by Len Smith. I had to stop myself from flicking through just to look at each picture, some of his fellow soldiers, others just interesting observations.

He had an unusual war, starting out in the 7th City Of London Regiment, becoming a Sniper after Loos (amongst his tasks was drawing a stunning panorama of the German lines from No Mans Land at Vimy), eventually working in the Royal Engineers, amongst other things making camouflage netting and helping make a fake tree which was placed near the German lines.

The first 30 pages are online here: http://www.greatwarartist.com/index.html

The printed book doesn't have his handwriting throughout like on the link, only the occasional page.

Thanks for the info -just ordered it at only £8 through the Amazon link on the donations page.

Yes i had it for a christmas present.I could not put it down,i like the way he writes how he speaks. A brave and intelligent man.Makes you proud to be English.A good read.Tom

• 10 months later...

Have read the book and enjoyed it.

I spoke to some of the old comrades this Remembrance weekend when they still gather at the 7th's Memorial in Grove Park Drill Hall, I understand they were in touch with him for a while after the war.

Here at the Unit some of us are Graphic Artist or work in the Creative Arts and can relate closely to the author.

• 1 year later...

I have the paperback. Agree with praise in earlier posts, but the binding is so tight that it is tough work reading it, and some of the illustrations on the inner sides of pages cannot be fully seen.

The author was clearly a gifted artist and expresses his views on army life with clarity and humour.

D