The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

24th Btn Canadian Infantry

Guest Steve Seaman

Guest Steve Seaman

I'm researching a soldier named on the Hatfield War Memorial who immigated to Canada and joined the CEF.

The CWGC site shows him as belonging to the 24th Canadian Infantry (Quebec Reg) .

I searched for the Btn diary on the Canadian National Archive site and could only find one listed that being the 24th Infantry but called the Victoria Rifles.

Are they one or the same ?

My mans name was Willaim George DAVIS Pte 124455.Just as an aside I was able to inform the CWGC his age when he died as they did not have it recorded.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The 24th were the Victoria Rifles, just as the 13th were the Royal Highlanders (both Montreal units).

My mans name was Willaim George DAVIS Pte 124455.Just as an aside I was able to inform the CWGC his age when he died as they did not have it recorded.

Steve

They will not want to add your research to their register. I had made the same offering some years back, and they refused it. I think the reasoning is that it would open up the flood gates to hundreds of researchers sending truck-loads of information.

Guest Steve Seaman

Thanks for your replies chaps.

Garth,

I've written to the Canadian National Archives for a copy of my mans service record.

cheers

Steve