The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Civil Service Rifles - All Bloody Gentlemen

John_Hartley

Picked up a remaindered copy recently.

An excellent example of the modern battalion history - I reckon it's the gold standard for those of us who might consider writing something similar. As might be expected these days, the story bounces along drawing heavily on personal accounts, as well as the original history published in 1921. I particularly like the way Jill usually managed to include which government department a man had come from - it makes it much more personal.

Worth getting hold of, even if you have no particular interests in the London Regiment.

Long standing GWF pals will recall that Jill was a Forum member before her untimely death.

John,

I concur absolutely. I purchased the book from the Naval and Military Press here about a year ago and it's a beautiful, personal read, with a great deal of photo's that not too many have seen.

All for under a fiver as well. :thumbsup:

Cheers Andy.

Agree whole heartedly with the above - a superb book.

Thanks for that Dianne. I was just about to ask what started her interest in the Civil Service Rifles as her book has been mentioned before.

Nice story about Jill Mick.

• 1 year later...
Guest Norman Wells

As a new member who's just bought the book, I agree it's an excellent account. My grandfather, Fred Wells, was with the CSRs pre-war, and I'm pretty certain he's in the group photo on pages 24-25 of the book. He later served, it seems, with the 1/12 Rangers in France throughout 1917 before going back to the CSRs in 1918, when he won the MM for an incident described in Feilding's War Letters to a Wife. Anyone know how I can find out about Fred's pre-war service with the CSRs?

Thanks, tootsmate