The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Remount Service

Neil Clark

Can anyone explain a bit about this organisation. Was it an army unit or was it a government Department staffed by civil servants?

I have come by information that a REMOUNT DEPOT was located in Pluckley Kent near to the railway station.

Was it run and staffed by the Army Service Corps?

Any information gladly received.

Thanks

It was certainly an army unit, and if this chap is typical, was staffed by men of more mature years from a farming / cavalry background :

Major RICHARD SPENCER BRITTEN

Deputy Assistant Director of Remounts, 5th Army H.Q., Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars

who died age 40 on 18 August 1918

Son of Arthur Britten, of Great Billing, Northants; husband of Gladys N. Britten, of Penn, Bucks.

Britten had spent his entire life with horses on the family farm. His obit in the local paper says he spent three days ill with diphtheria and died. He had been with the Remount service since the outbreak, and in France from January 15, when he commanded a gunnery squadron. He won distiction in the South African war, when he was commissioned in the field and became one of the youngest captains in the army.

They were a Unit,albiet a Small one in their own right with a Cap/Collar Badge being a Prancing Horse in a Garter with Army Remount Service,surmounted by the Cypher GvR,their role was to Break & "recondition" horses to make them usable by the Army{or Re Usable}after they had been Wounded or Injured & the AVC had treated them,by returning them to the best condition they were able to.NCOs/Men of the ASC Working with the Remounts Service Had Prefix:"RTS/12345"

Off on a tangent a Lady Brown;I believe; appalled @ the state of so many Ex~War Department Horses Post War & the Conditions they were Working & Living in;founded a Charity dedicated to their Saving,& Welfare,Still in Existence today caring for Mans Four Legged Friends in the 3rd World; funded,initially by her own Fortune

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have a gt-uncle who served with the ASC in the 43rd Remount Squadron in Salonika. When I read about the Remount Units, I was amazed at the number of wounded horses that were actually cured and depolyed back to service, as opposed to being put down. It was music to my ears as I like horses.

Ian :)

This local man prompted my question

BAKER A.J

Sergeant Major Alfred John BAKER DCM. Pluckley Remount Depot, Army Remount Service (ARS). Formerly 2nd battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Died 17th February 1915 aged 51 years. Alfred Lived at 204 Godinton Road, Ashford, Kent. Killed when he was thrown from his horse at the Pluckley railway station en route to the “Remount Depot”. Reported in the Kentish Express on 27th February 1915. He fell in the road fracturing his skull.

Alfred was born in New Romney before coming to Ashford and working for Mr Finn (the grocer). Alfred served 22 years in the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 17 of which were spent in India. He was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) by Lord Roberts in South Africa. He won the DCM during the Battle of Belfast (Boer war 1900-1902). It is recorded that he won this bravery award for rescuing an injured soldier whilst under heavy fire. When the Great War commenced Alfred volunteered for service overseas but was turned down due to his age. He then became Assistant Superintendent of the Remount Depot in Pluckley.

This mans death is not recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

For those interested in horses in WW1, the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) also had Remount Units based in Egypt and Palestine.

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/animals/horses.htm

regards

Richard