The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Master Of BelHaven And The First Seven Divisions

Auchonvillers

Hello to all,

Currently I am reading The War Diary Of The Master Of Belhaven by Lieut. Col.Ralph Hamilton and I was just wondering if any of the book experts out there could tell me if he was related to Lord Ernest Hamilton, the Author of The First Seven Divisions. It also mentions other Hamiltons in The First Seven Divisions book and I was wondering if these are all from the same military Family? or in some way connected to Lieut.Col. Ralph Hamilton too.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the above.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

May have something, but will need to search. Have you got access to 'The Aristocracy in the Great War'. Looked at a copy a few years back which was most useful for Lords! Look it up, or perhaps someone on the forum could do a look-up for you.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mark ,

Have looked in The Aristocracy in the Great War and Ralph Hamilton did not have any brothers and the only other relatives mentioned was his wife and uncle . He was the only son of the 10th Baron . The 10th Baron was succeeded by his younger brother , Robert Edward Hamilton as the 11th Baron Belhaven and Stenton in 1920 . Robert was born in 1871 and served in several theatres of the war 1915-18 . Sorry I couldn't be help

Maurice