The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

828 Sgt. Andrew Downie, 2/R.Highrs

9th Black Watch

Several years ago I obtained a 1914 Star trio awarded to 828 Sergt. Andrew Downie, 2nd Royal Highlanders, D. of W., 5 May 1916. Accompanying the group were his memorial scroll, a commemorative scroll from the town council of Kirkcaldy, a postcard photograph, and a large portrait of Sergt. Downie in uniform. All of these are mounted in contemporary frames. Considering this is the anniversary of his death I thought it fitting to share part of his story.

HOW A KIRKCALDY HIGHLANDER DIED

Sergt. Andrew Downie was born in Falkirk, Stirlingshire. He was the third son of Andrew and Annie Murray Downie, who at the outbreak of war lived at 22 Factory Road, Kirkcaldy. He enlisted in Dysart aged sixteen and by the time of his death had been ten years with the colours – five spent in India. Arriving in France in 1914, Downie was wounded sometime before the battalion set sail for Mesopotamia in November 1915. In February the following year his parents received notification that their son had been wounded again and was in hospital in India. He rejoined his battalion shortly after but was wounded for a third time on 25 April 1916 in action near Sannaiyat – the second Black Watch taking an active part in the effort to relieve Kut. On 13 May 1916, the local newspaper reported that Downie was ‘seriously ill in hospital’. Confirmation of his death was not announced in the press until the following week. Sergt. Andrew Downie, 2nd Royal Highlanders, died on 5 May 1916, a little after noon, in the 3rd B.G.H., Amara, aged 25. In a letter to his parents, S. H. McNeil – presumably the chaplain – wrote

My dear Mr. Downie it is with great regret and sorrow that I write this weeks news to you. Long ere my letter reaches you, it will have been conveyed, but I trust these words will bring comfort to you in the knowledge that your son was being cared for till the end, and that he was in good and kindly hands that tried to do all that could be done for his healing and comfort. Serjt. Downie died on the 5, a little after midday. I’d seen him just an hour before, and then had never dreamt that he was likely so soon to be taken away. They were in hopes that he might have been sent on to base and thence to India, where something might be done to help the spinal wound. We were in great hopes his life might be spared. We have laid his body to rest in the military cemetery at Imara. He lies with comrades of the Regiments which he served, the Black Watch and Seaforths, and it was men of his own Battalion who lowered him into his grave. I wish to offer you my very deepest sympathy, your son has shown himself a courageous and gallant soldier, it was his second time round in Mesopotamia and I know the memory he has left of his work in the Regiment, and of his patient courage when wounded, is one to be very proud and thankful for.

He is buried in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq, II. C. 7.

Best wishes,

Derek

post-1-1083782890.jpg