The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War Diary Royal welsh Fusilliers Book.

Cameron2165

Hi,

I've recently seen a book mentioned on another site called:-

The War diary of the 10th (Service) Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

I wondered if anybody knows about this book?

My Great Uncle served with the 10th, so I would be interested in reading the book.

I believe it was published in 1926! So I'm not to hopeful.

Regards

Cam.

Cam

It's not a book as such but a typed version of their War Diary. Their Diary is different from the majority of Diaries because they give rank. name and numbers for all ranks whether killed or wounded etc.

The actual original Diary can be downloaded for £3.50 from the National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=9

It is better inasmuch as it states reasons for of the early casualties eg shot right shoulde etc

What are your Ucles details? I#ll have a look for you.

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Thanks for the information and the offer. My Great uncles details are:-

19286 Pte Noah powell

Died of Wounds 13.12.17

Entered France 02.12.15.

Is it possible to buy a copy, and if so where from?

Many Thanks

Cam.

Cam

On 26th Nov 1917 the Battalion relieved the 12th West Yorks in the Bullecourt Sector. On the 29th there were 3 OR killed and 10 wounded. Noah was one of those wounded.

He would have enlisted in the last days of 1914 or first few days of 1915.

PM me your email and I'll send you relevant material etc

Hywyn

Cam

On 26th Nov 1917 the Battalion relieved the 12th West Yorks in the Bullecourt Sector. On the 29th there were 3 OR killed and 10 wounded. Noah was one of those wounded.

He would have enlisted in the last days of 1914 or first few days of 1915.

PM me your email and I'll send you relevant material etc

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Thanks for all your help, the diary is great.

Cam.

• 8 years later...

Hi,

I am really interested to see this exchange about Noah Powell as he is my husband's grandfather (and my husband was not aware that Noah had siblings).  I have managed to download the diary from the National Archives but can't find any specific mention of Noah.  Is there one anywhere?

In the unlikely event that Cameron sees this post, I will try to send a lovely photograph we have of Noah.

Regards

Clare

2 minutes ago, Clarep said:

Hi,

I am really interested to see this exchange about Noah Powell as he is my husband's grandfather (and my husband was not aware that Noah had siblings).  I have managed to download the diary from the National Archives but can't find any specific mention of Noah.  Is there one anywhere?

In the unlikely event that Cameron sees this post, I will try to send a lovely photograph we have of Noah.

Regards

Clare

The war diaries very rarely show the names of individual soldiers so it's not unusual to find no record of them by name in the diary.

Noah Powell is shown as being born in 'Gwaelod-Y-Garth, Glam'. This looks like his family on the 1891 census
image.png.088e89b6f58cf334a2877eee0b67f60f.png

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

The war diaries very rarely show the names of individual soldiers so it's not unusual to find no record of them by name in the diary

In the case of the 10th RWF though there was a version printed in the 1920s which contained the details of wounded etc. It is in this version that Noah was mentioned. It list a number of men by name/number who were wounded 29 11 1917. Noah was one of them.

1 hour ago, Clarep said:

Clare

Cam last visited the Forum about a month ago so he should get  a message that you have posted to his thread. In the event that he doesn't tin due course then post again and I'll send you the relevant bit of the printed version. Is that Noah that Cam has as an avatar?

Croeso/Welcome to the Forum by the way.

Hywyn

Thanks so much for the hugely speedy replies and hopefully Cam and I will link up. Yes it is the same Noah. Thank you too for explaining about the 1920s version of the diary. The NA copy I have just says 10 OR wounded so I was wondering how you knew Noah was one of them.

Clare

Clare

You couldn't have found two better blokes to find your stuff than Hywyn and Craig! Power to their elbows!

(I had a g uncle in the 10th).