Date of Death: 06/05/1917

Place of Death:

Cause of Death: Died of wounds

Memorial Panel: 146

Cemetery or Memorial Details: GERMANY 2 Hamburg Cemetery Ohlsdorf

Next Of Kin:

Place Of Enlistment: Springbank, SA

Native Place:

Notes: O'NEIL, Pte. Daniel Joseph, 2218. 48th Bn. Australian Inf. Died of wounds 6th May, 1917. Age 26. Son of Daniel Joseph and Mary Haffenden O'Neil; husband of Ella Mary O'Neil, of Lower Mitcham, South Australia. Born at Adelaide. III. G. 12.

Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

Daniel O'Neil was a fireman from Sprinbank Adelaide South Australia. He was a machine gunner in the 48th Battalion and was badly wounded in the Battle of Bullecourt on Aprill 11th 1917.

He was left in OG2 when what was left of the battalion retired as he was to badly wounded to be moved.

He died of these wounds on the 06/05/17

The following information comes from the Australian Red Cross Wounded and Missing Enquiry Bureau Files.

""Missing 11.4.17"

Prisoner of War, - Interned at Reserve Lazarett Verden A/Aller

Cert., by Post-Card from Man, dated 17.4.17

"Just a line to inform you, I had the misfortune to be badly wounded left leg, and right arm and taken prisoner on the 11 April. I came to this Lazarrett with more of my comrades, on the 15th. Please inform my wife Mrs Daniel Joseph O'Neil, Address:- Spring Bank, P.C. Clarence Park, South Aust, where I am as soon as possible. Would be very thankful for some comforts etc as soon as possible. I am yours truly Daniel Joseph O'Neil, 2218 48th Batt AIF"

"Prisoner of War"

In reply to yours of 22,8,17.

The British soldier 2218 Pte. D. J. O'Neil AIF died at 1.30.p.m. on 6.5.17 as the result of g.s. wds left foot and right forearm in the Garrison Hospital Verden Aller. He lies in the Garrison Cemetery Verden Aller Grave No 52. The effects found on him consisted of 1 letter case, 1 paybook, , 1 identity disc, 1 set of false teeth, 1 photograph, 2 one franc notes. Ceert by letter from German Red Cross Berlin 26.11.17."

In total there are twelve pages of information about Pte O'Neil.

The pages can be found at the following web address:

www.awm.gov.au/database/1drl428.asp

Steve