The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Upold Tank Corps( need to check spelling)

perce620

Double headed question this ,Picked up two postcards which are in quite cheap card with a small picture of a tommy lighting a cigarette with half a mo Kaiser written under the picture, both are from troops saying thanks for cigarettes, are these the cards that were in the princess mary tins or something else, secondly one of the men was in the RAMC before transferring to the tank corps, does anyone know where I can get a roll of honour for the tank Corps( he was KIA)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

1. No - this is a tobacco fund thank you card - many newspapers and local organisations sent baccy to the troops. They in turn sent back these cards thanking the sender.

2. Tank Corps medal roll available at the PRO or NA as now is.

Ian

:)

This postcard was designed quite early on the war, and the artist was Bert Thomas. The postcards were sold to raise money for cigarettes for troops and were a great success, raising nearly a quarter of a million pounds.

Mind you - the soldier in the original painting is actually lighting his pipe! (Maybe Thomas altered it before donating it to the cigarette fund, making the soldier a cigarette smoker?)

Tom

post-1-1083844691.jpg

Fantastic thanks very much. Info gratefully received

Fantastic thanks very much. Info gratefully received

perce620 - could you have another look at yours and see whether the soldier has a pipe or a cig?

Tom

Will have a look this evening will try and scan it if you want

Thanks, perce620 - I'm just interested in knowing if there was a cigarette version. It would seem to make more sense if there was.

Tom

Incidentally - "Soldiers Died......" has

302728 Pte. Leonard Alfred UPFOLD

Tank Corps

Enlisted Redhill (no palce of birth or residence given)

Died of wounds 8.8.18 - France and Flanders

Formerly 10679, Royal Army Medical Corps.

CWGC has him listed with the same name. CWGC says he was 24 and the son of the late Thomas and Charlotte Jane Upfold, of Redhill, Surrey. He's buried in Vignacourt British Cemetery.

Tom

Upfold thats the name I got wrong, Thanks for the look up. He was in a hospital in Rouen when he got his cigarettes will put the senders name on the site later. The other soldiers name also RAMC was Boobyen again at a hospital in Rouen

Upfold postcard front

post-1-1083867630.jpg

Upfold postcard writing

post-1-1083867716.jpg

Thanks Perce. I was interested to see that as I've only seen the colour version which was sold as a postcard, to raise the funds, I think.

Tom