The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Engineers

nicburch

My great-uncle k.i.a.25/11/17 was attached to 20th.div.on the ridge near La Vaquerie on this day.I would like to know more about the battle lines at this time,i have stood on the ridge and it is breathtaking.Any info would be appreciated.

"there had existed during the closing months of 1917, aplace of weakness in the british line- and weakness inevitably invites attack. the position was know as the flesquieres salient, and it had been formed as a result of the tank breakthrough towards Cambrai in november and the subsequent counterattack which had won back for the germans most of the ground they had lost. the flesquires salient was. in fact. the truncated stub of the short-lived cambrai salient- and here, as the old year died, was fought a battle which typified the bitterness and fury, the bravery and the squalor, the resolution and waste of all the trench fighting which had taken place along the western front. it was amicrocosm of the war. and it happened in a locallity which was to prove a most vital sector of front in the months to come.the front line- such as it was-was held by men of the british 63rd division. for seven miles the salient bulged out towards the enemy from demicourt in the north to gouzeaucourt in the south, its apex lying just north of a derisory hillock called WELSH RIDGE, and overlooking the german held village of marcoing. this was ground which a month before had been in the german rear- astretch of the hindenburg line now served as first support trench behind the british front- with the result that when of the 63rd devision took it over, it was neither continuosly trenched nor adequately protected by barbed wire belts. it was, in fact, a discontinuos line of outposts hurriedly improvised in the stress of battle" hope the helps a little!! archie

"Cambrai - The Right Hook" by Jack Horsfall & Nigel Cave in Pen & Swords Battleground Europe series is full of detail, including bits about four RE companies.

Hi Oberon

The front line on the 25th Nov. was beyond Welsh Ridge, it ran along the Bonavis Ridge then ran between the villages of Masnieres and Rumilly. Which R.E. company was your great-uncle with, I have the 20th Div's History and it makes mention of the R.E. companies.

Annette

Hello Annette,

I also have the 20th.division history,a first edition,on page 196it states the 84th. Field coy. in which he served 'under orders of the 61st.brigade took up position on Welsh Ridge,2000 yards south of the village (Marcoing)but gives no date.