The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

‘Sorry, Lads, But The Order Is To Go’

Andrew P

By David W Cameron

UNSW Press

This is an easy to read history of the August Offensive at Anzac. The author weaves the personal accounts of the Officers & Soldiers well amid the story of the Offensive. I was pleased to see that he includes the 11th Battalion attack on Leane’s Trench as this action is often ignored when the August Offensive is discussed. There are plenty of maps included which is very useful when the various trenches & saps at Lone Pine Action are being written about.

The book also covers the Attacks along the 2nd Ridge at Anzac at the Nek, German Officers Trench & Quinn’s Post. The actions towards Chunuk Bair and Hill 971 by the New Zealand, British, Indian & Australian units are also well told.

My only disappointment was that the actions at Suvla were only mentioned in passing and I was expecting to read a bit more about Hill 60 towards the end of August but apart from this I found this to be a good read.

Cheers

G'day Andrew,

Thanks for the post.

Is the book currently available nation wide (Australia, that is)?

Also, can you give me a RRP please.

May be a Christmas gift for someone I know.

Seasons Greetings

Pop

(Sean McManus)

By David W Cameron

UNSW Press

This is an easy to read history of the August Offensive at Anzac. The author weaves the personal accounts of the Officers & Soldiers well amid the story of the Offensive. I was pleased to see that he includes the 11th Battalion attack on Leane’s Trench as this action is often ignored when the August Offensive is discussed. There are plenty of maps included which is very useful when the various trenches & saps at Lone Pine Action are being written about.

The book also covers the Attacks along the 2nd Ridge at Anzac at the Nek, German Officers Trench & Quinn’s Post. The actions towards Chunuk Bair and Hill 971 by the New Zealand, British, Indian & Australian units are also well told.

My only disappointment was that the actions at Suvla were only mentioned in passing and I was expecting to read a bit more about Hill 60 towards the end of August but apart from this I found this to be a good read.

Cheers

Many thanks for a good lead as I am very interested in the the August Offensive (and the 11th Battalion attack on Leane's Trench). I have seen that it is available on Amazon uk. Will be on my "very soon" list.

Judy

G'day Andrew,

Thanks for the post.

Is the book currently available nation wide (Australia, that is)?

Also, can you give me a RRP please.

May be a Christmas gift for someone I know.

Seasons Greetings

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Hi Sean, It should be available Australia wide as I have seen it for sale at Dymocks bookstore. From memory it was around $40.

Judy, if you have an interest in the 11th Battalion at Leanes trench have you seen Wes Olsen's recent book on Western Australians at Gallipoli?

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for the review Drew.......haven't picked up my copy yet!

Have the feeling I saw it recently at the local Collins Bookstore - but if you get desperate Sean, it's available through the AWM bookshop.

Cheers, Frev

G'day Andrew and Frev,

Thanks for the response.

May I wish you and all Aussie members of the GWF Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Hi Sean, It should be available Australia wide as I have seen it for sale at Dymocks bookstore. From memory it was around $40.

Judy, if you have an interest in the 11th Battalion at Leanes trench have you seen Wes Olsen's recent book on Western Australians at Gallipoli?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks so much - I haven't seen it and it is now on my list also.

Judy

Hi all

Thanks for the positive feedback on my book. Andrew, I agree with you about Hill 60 it is a crucial battle and in some ways more bloody and tragic than Lone Pine. It is for this reason that my concluding book in the Anzac trilogy focus on Hill 60. I have about four chapters dedicated to it i.e., this last book deals with Hill 60, the final battles at Anzac, concluding with the evacuation. I'm about half way through it.

Best wishes to all

Dave