The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Last Canadian Vimy Veteran Goes West

mordac

Veteran Affairs Canada reported Clifford W. Holliday died at his home in Gardena California May 4.

421006 Pte. Clifford Holliday was a member of the 43rd Battalion (Cameron Highlanders of Canada) who enlisted on February 3, 1915. Holliday was wounded twice during the Great War. He was wound when a bullet went through both his legs and later when he was struck by shrapnel that pierced his jaw and cheek. After his second injury he was assigned to a supply depot in England. In November 1918 he met and married Annie, before retuning home to Canada. He and Annie moved to California in 1922 where Holliday worked in the film industry as an electrician.

Last year when he was asked about his Great War experiences he said "I can't remember the names. I'm too scattered now. But just before dawn I remember our battalion went in with 1,100 strong and when we came out, there was only 127 men who answered the next roll call." In the same interview he commented on the present war in Iraq. "I don't go for this war stuff, and I don't care who knows it. If the leaders of this world had to put in two days fighting in something like that, there'd be a great change in the world. Bush wouldn't have lasted five minutes on the ground."

Clifford W. Holliday's attestation papers can be viewed here.

Garth

post-1-1083866529.jpg

Let's honour this very honourable man...

(Grandson) Michael

The sun goes down on another...

Taken as the sun went down over New Zealand

John

post-1-1083880426.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Here's to an extraordinary man - the last of his breed.

At the going down of the sun - we will remember them.

A large chunk of Canadian history was created by men like him. We all honour his memory.

Farewell Clifford; the roll call is nearly complete...

Respectful best wishes

Kate

Rest in Peace, Clifford, and Thank You!! Shelley

Rest in peace Clifford Holliday.

"I fall asleep in the full & certain hope that my slumber shall not be broken, and that though I be all-forgetting, yet shall I not be all-forgotten, but continue that life in the thoughts and deeds of those I loved".

Glynn

God Bless

Pte Clifford Holliday, 43rd Camerons has answered the final roll call God Bless you Sir and Thanks. Rob.