Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

victoria barracks, cork

calvin

hi, does anyone know were i might obtain a picture of the victoria barracks in cork. my great uncle was there for a while with the 3rd lincs in 1918. any help appriciated, regards, john

There is an excellent history of the barracks available on some of the secondhand book websites at reasonable prices called:-

The Barracks: A History of Victoria/Collins Barracks. Dan Harvey & Gerry White. ISBN 1-85635-194-7

One of the authors has been known to frequent this forum once in a while.

The good people of Cork didn't like the name Victoria and renamed the barracks after some guy named Collins.......!! [joke]

Mark

hi mark, thanks for that, who,s this collins fellow " joke" i wondered if anyone had any old photo,s, kind regards, john

This photos shows the lowering of the Union Flag at Victoria Barracks, Cork on the vacation of them by the British Army after which it was renamed Collins Barracks

Dave

post-128-1261257860.jpg

THANKYOU FOR THAT, WHAT YEAR WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN, REGARDS, JOHN

That would have been 1922.......I think!

The Barracks were handed over by the British Government to Commandant Sean Murray of the Army of the Irish Free State in 1922, under the terms of the Anglo-Irish Treaty which marked the end of the Irish War of Independence.

Dave

The date was 18 May 1922.

Dave

• 3 months later...
hi, does anyone know were i might obtain a picture of the victoria barracks in cork. my great uncle was there for a while with the 3rd lincs in 1918. any help appriciated, regards, john

Hello John,

I just noticed your post.

I am the co-author of 'The Barracks - A History of Victoria/Collins Barracks, Cork' and may be able to help you with some photos. I have been busy with the book of the Cork fatalities of the Great War - but as that has now gone to print I have a BIT of free time on my hands!

Gerry White

Hello John,

I just noticed your post.

I am the co-author of 'The Barracks - A History of Victoria/Collins Barracks, Cork' and may be able to help you with some photos. I have been busy with the book of the Cork fatalities of the Great War - but as that has now gone to print I have a BIT of free time on my hands!

Gerry White

Gerry

I have some information on a Patrick Carroll born Cork who was in the 91st Siege Battery, killed in action 1917.

Mike

Gerry

I have some information on a Patrick Carroll born Cork who was in the 91st Siege Battery, killed in action 1917.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Patrick is one of the casualties listed in the soon to be published book on the Cork war dead entitled 'A Great Sacrfice - Cork Servicemen who died in the Great War'.

Gerry

Hi Mike,

Patrick is one of the casualties listed in the soon to be published book on the Cork war dead entitled 'A Great Sacrfice - Cork Servicemen who died in the Great War'.

Gerry

Gerry

Are you intrested in the details of his death. I can send you these by e-mail.

Mike

Gerry

Are you intrested in the details of his death. I can send you these by e-mail.

Mike

Yes indeed Mike -

gerrywhitecork@yahoo.co.uk

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread by accident whilst researching my Great Grandfather. He was Garrison Serjeant Major at Victoria/Collins Barracks in 1920. We're waiting on the M.O.D. Sending us his service record at the moment. I'm hoping to find out if he was there on handover.

• 9 months later...

The census taken in 1911 covers all those resident in Victoria Barracks at the time. Search this census at census.ie

Navigating is time consuming as there were around 2,000 British personnel living there then. All personnel are listed on the census website. The website also has a facility marked Illustrations. Click on this for Cork to check if there are pictures of Victoria Barracks under this heading. For pictures of Victoria Barracks go to The National Library of Ireland website is www.nli.ie/digitalphotographs and search county by county. Since Victoria Barracks is in Cork City, then County Cork is your first port of call.

For a fabulous 1897 picture taken just inside the main gate of Victoria Barracks, Cork, go to www.flickr.com

At the search tablet type in Victoria Barracks. From this website you can download this picture, which shows half a dozen soldiers, some at attention and some at ease. The barrack church can be seen in the background. Another website, wwwIrishexaminer.com formerly The Cork Examiner, has a picture archive each Saturday under 'Collections' a picture of Victoria Barracks may be found here.

I was there in September, its the biggest military square in Europe (?!?!) Not sure, but its really big! I was at a conference in Cork and we had a reception in the officers' mess.

Peter

Peter,

You were down south on holidays, enjoying yourself...on business.

Yes that square is huge...bicycles should be available to get around it, as its verboten

to cross it. The Mournes, Tollymore, and Silent Valley are a long way from that barrack

square. I've spent many summers in Newcastle, where a memorial to Percy French has

been erected overlooking the beach since he brought fame and renown to the area and

the Mountains of Mourne.

Good luck for now

John

For those interested in living history of Victoria Barracks Cork go to www.bfi.org/player

in search box type in...Regiments returned from Boer War to Victoria Barracks.

bfi is the British Film Institute. The Institute was handed hundreds of reels of film of turn

of the century British life over the years approx. 1898 to 1906. The cinematographers were Mitchel and Kenyon who toured Ireland and England shooting film.

In Ireland they covered Belfast, Derry / Londonderry, Dublin, Wexford and Cork including a two minute film of the main gate of Victoria Barracks showing Boer War veterans exiting the barracks.

Should you wish to see more of Mitchel and Kenyon's film in the city centre of Cork go to

you tube and enter 'Cork History'

John

• 3 years later...

Folks, I'm trying to trace details of may maternal grandfathers military record. His name was Jeremiah Fennell, and he was included in the 1911 Cork census at which time he would have been around 21 (born 1890), and listed as being in House 1009 at Victoria Barracks. I'm not sure what regiment he was in but it could have been the Yorkshire Light Infantry (could they have been based there?).

I have found a service number of a Jeremiah Fennel from Cork (10360 - Yorkshire Light Infantry) who was discharged 26th April 1917 and subsequently - died 1937. These broadly match info I have re but I can't be certain they are the same man.

Is there anyway to ascertain the details are one and the same person and if so details of his military service?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Jeremiah K

Welcome to the forum.

If you look at the Barrack return on the Irish census you will see that J Fennell was serving with the second battalion of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI). The details for this  J Fennell  are that he was born in Cork in about 1890, his religion was Roman Catholic and his original trade was tailor. This is a good match with the 1901 census for a Jerh Fennell, resident in Cork, born abt 1890 and the son of a Jeremiah Fennell who was a tailor.

Without the service record it is not 100%, but I would have thought that it is almost certain that the Jeremiah Fennell, above, is the same person as the Jeremiah Fennell, #10360, KOYLI on the medal rolls and the medal index card (MIC). 

The  MIC shows that Jeremiah left for France on 15 January 1915 which suggests that by then he had been transferred to the 1st Battalion KOYLI - see here

I'm afraid I could find no details of the reason for discharge in 1917. I couldn't find him in the Silver War Badge Records (medical discharge).

Regards

David

• 5 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 02:58, Jeremiah K said:

Folks, I'm trying to trace details of may maternal grandfathers military record. His name was Jeremiah Fennell, and he was included in the 1911 Cork census at which time he would have been around 21 (born 1890), and listed as being in House 1009 at Victoria Barracks. I'm not sure what regiment he was in but it could have been the Yorkshire Light Infantry (could they have been based there?).

I have found a service number of a Jeremiah Fennel from Cork (10360 - Yorkshire Light Infantry) who was discharged 26th April 1917 and subsequently - died 1937. These broadly match info I have re but I can't be certain they are the same man.

Is there anyway to ascertain the details are one and the same person and if so details of his military service?

Jeremiah K

Hi, not sure how to respond but have sent a message to your identity as well.  The Jeremiah Fennell you are discussing is likely my grandfather.  Can you please contact me? thanks. Rosaleen.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 02:58, Jeremiah K said:

Jeremiah K

Hello, sorry, not sure if I replied to correct post last time.  Can you please contact me, Jeremiah Fennell 48 Boyces Street was my maternal grandfather. 

I have sent Jeremiah K a forum PM on Rosaleen's behalf drawing his attention to his relative joining this topic.

His one and only visit was the day he made the post above, so it's unlikely he'd come back otherwise.

Mark

10 hours ago, Rosaleen said:

R

5 hours ago, MBrockway said:

I have sent Jeremiah K a forum PM on Rosaleen's behalf drawing his attention to his relative joining this topic.

His one and only visit was the day he made the post above, so it's unlikely he'd come back otherwise.

Mark

Rosaleen

i have sent a reply to your message, would be interested to hear back from you. 

JK