The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ernest Frank Fendley

bts1970

Another aspect from the research, this lad was named as a nephew of the village Carpenter

ERNEST FRANK FENDLEY. The story told was of an early arrival into the War then a reported death. Years later he was found to be alive having hid from ther Germans in St Quentin & assisted by locals in doing so.

In March 1917 he was forcfully evacuated by the Germans as a civilian (due to his excellent language skills after years of living as a local) prisoner.

Given the details i have i believe this is the chap

9568 Dorset Regiment

MIC records arrival 16/08/1914 & Died (crossed out) 24/08/1914.

I would love to hear from anyone with extra details for this event

Best regards

Bob

(the detail i have comes from Ethel Richardson`s book Remembrance Wakes)

9568 Pte E.F. FENDLEY was from Kinson and was discharged on 7th July 1925. His new Army number was 5718189. He was indeed a POW though this is not stated on his MIC. I am not familiar with the events you describe. Is there another thread on this subject?

Ref: Ledgers held at The Keep Military Museum, Dorchester.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Not sure about another thread, i got this detail from the book i listed whilst reading about the village. It goes into detail about going into hiding etc, the books author describes the events having met with the village carpenter & him relaying the details ..... of course there was much to cheer as we heard etc ..... The book however does clearly state CIVILIAN PRISONER MARCH 1917. It is written in the chapter for this year but no further mention in the book.

Somewhere in the back of my mind i can recall a similar (Indeed this may be the same lad) story but can`t put my finger on it

Best regards

Bob

• 1 year later...

Update as i now have a copy of Ethels book to carry out further research.

FENDLEY, Ernest Frank.Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Nephew of a Village carpenter.

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

9568 Dorset Regiment

British War medal, Victory Medal, 14 Star (Clasp).

Ernest’s MIC records an arrival date of 16/08/1914 & Died 24/08/1914 (crossed out).

Whilst Ernest was not a resident of the Village his story is a very interesting one, Ethel Richardson included the details in her book Remembrance Wakes. After the Mons retreat he was listed as missing supposed killed. Ethel writes that in 1917 his uncle came to see her with a letter addressed to his sister. It was written by a French girl and stated that Ernest was alive and well, it stated that he was unable to escape St Quentin as the Germans advanced. He had been given civilian clothes and remained hidden until March 1917 when the Germans evacuated the civilian population and Ernest was forced to give himself up. They took him for a French civilian, later on this girl heard again that he was near Cateau North as a civilian prisoner. The letter was signed M Solin Blanche.

The Fendleys replied to Mademoiselle Blanche and received another letter in return. This letter was much more detailed in how he remained for 3 years hidden from the Germans. She again begged not to try and contact Ernest as he would be found out as a British soldier.

Ethel wrote that they took his name of the Village list of the fallen and that a couple of weeks after the Armistice Ernest arrived in the Village at his uncles looking the picture of health and strength. He stated that after the Germans mopped up they were taken priosoner, that night as they lay in the open he crawled away to a ditch and lay doggo. He met a French Padre and was given civilian clothes, he moved around locations tostay clear of the Germans. For two years he had worked as a French civilian for the Germans behind the lines. An extraordinary tale, but true.

Best regards

Bob

There are Birth, Marriage and Death records for Ernest F Fendley, 4th Qtr 1894; marrying Miss Montgomery 4th Qtr 1919 (so no going back for his m'selle) and finally 2nd Qtr 1966.....

Thanks Kevin

What are the relevent districts for each entry? In Ethels book she writes that she asked if he was going back for the French girl.... his reply apparently was " No. no, i had plenty of other girls in France besides her"

Best regards

Bob

Somewhere in the back of my mind i can recall a similar (Indeed this may be the same lad) story but can`t put my finger on it

Bob

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

Here