The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Scots

berris

My father, Philip Hunt, was a Rear Gunner in the Royal Scots. He was born in Worksop Nottinghamshire in 1898 and joined up when he was under age. He survived the war.

I am interested to know where he may have served as I would like to viist these places and also show them to his Grandson.

I have a photo of him in uniform, but have had difficulty loading it on to this site.

Thanks for any help.

post-2-1084030713.jpg

Berris,

Welcome to the forum. There is some confusion in your post, Rear Gunner was an RAF position usually associated with WW2 bombers. Did you mean Lewis Gunner?

Any other details you can give?

If you make his picture a .jpg you should be able to upload it using the browse button at the foot of your post ( just above add reply ) NOT the one below this post of course.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest Brummy

Hi,

I have only ever loaded an avitar to this site but if normal pictures are the same, I had a lot more success with a GIF my .jpg's where repeatedly rejected. also in the last few days a thread was started was started about the troop train disaster that the royal scots where involved, this thread had many recomendations for information on the Royal Scots, so if you put in a search for Royal Scots you should find this thread. Hope this helps.

Brum

Thanks to Brum and Malcom, my Father was probably a Lewis Gunner then. I will try again with the photo and try the link.

Berris

Hi Berris,

It appears to be a 9th Royal Scot uniform due to the kilt. The reason being that the 9th battalion were the only ones designated to wear kilts within the Regiment.

The photo suggests later war due to two things. THe cloth slip-on shoulder titles and the long service stripe on his left forearm. This means that he has served for at least 2 years, I think, with the battalion. It does make a dating slightly more possible. The 9th were a territorial battalion which means they were drawn from a specific locality, their's being Edinburgh. The territorial method of showing long service prior to the First World War was a series of stars and diamonds. These two facts combined suggest he was not an original member of the 'Dandy Ninth'. If he was born in 1898 then he would have been 18 in 1916 and could have been conscripted or joined up himself. But I would guess conscripted as the regiment would not have been, I would imagine, his first choice. Thus making the photo of 1918 vintage.

This is of course just a guess but I would not think it is too far wrong.

We can therefore suggest that he served with the battalion from 1916-1918. The battalion were involved in the battles or the Somme, Arras, Paschendaele to name a few in that time period. For the most part they served with the 51st Highland Division. But they were moved in early 1918. To find out more go to the mother site and check out the detials there.

Hope that is of help.

All the best,

Tim

As Tim has stated - 9th Battalion, see the Long Long Trail mother site for details but also look at the unsung heroes section at the Diary of William Dea to get an idea of what they went through.

Aye

Malcolm

Again many thanks for the information, Malcolm and Tim. I found it fascinating and has spurred me on to get more details.

Berris

Malcolm, Thank you! The photo certainly looks better!

Is my father holding a cane in his left hand? Is there any significance in this?

Berris.

Is my father holding a cane in his left hand? Is there any significance in this?

No, their is no significance to the cane, it is a photographer's prop.

Your first post referred to him being a gunner. The badge on his left sleeve shows the letters 'LG' which signifies that he was a Lewis Gunner.

Regards,

Ken