The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Simmo

My relative F Clixby was killed on 15 March 1917 serving with the 14th Battalion, and is buried in Bray Military Cemetery south of Albert. Can anyone inform what action the 14th were involved in during this period? Also being from Lincolnshire, would he have travelled to Edinburgh to enlist?

Your relative's battalion were part of the 40th division and as such were involved in a series of actions known oficially as "The German Retreat to the Hindenberg Line" between March 14th and April 5th 1917.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob.

My relative F Clixby was killed on 15 March 1917 serving with the 14th Battalion, and is buried in Bray Military Cemetery south of Albert. Can anyone inform what action the 14th were involved in during this period? Also being from Lincolnshire,  would he have travelled to Edinburgh to enlist?

14th A & S were raised at Stirling but I don't think your relative would have had to go there to enlist in the Argyles.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest angloanglo

Simmo

I believe that this could also be a relative of mine. My mother is a Clixby and I have compiled a large amount of Clixby family tree going back to 1730.

Most of the Clixby family are from Gainsborough and the Lincolnshire area.

However I cannot make a connection with F Clixby who is buried in Bray. Nor can I make a connection with his aparent father, Mr E Clixby, 6 Lewis St. Gainsborough. :(

As you seem to be certain that you are related to F Clixby, perhaps you could fill me in with what you know? I am happy to share with you my Clixby family tree.

I wondered the very same thing that you did. How would a man from Gainsborough join up with a Scottish Regiment? I thought perhaps he had moved to Scotland at some point.

I only trace one Scottish Clixby, from the 1901 census. Margaret Clixby, born in Scotland and living in Gainsborough in 1901, age 34. Is Margaret some connection perhaps??

Did you know there are three other Clixby's listed in the CWGC.

I am related to William Herbert Clixby from Nottingham. He is buried in Pieta Cemetary, Malta.

Then there is CC Clixby, buried at Queens Cemetery, Puisieux, France. I am quite sure there is a relationship here, but I still didn't tie it down yet. This soldier came from Sheffield and all of my direct Clixby family comes from Sheffield.

Number three I think is a possible distant connection. Edward Denis Clixby from Habrough, Lincs. He was an officer in the Lincolnshires. He was killed at Loos at around 14.15 on October 13th 1915 when attacking the Hohenzollern redoubt.

many thanks for any and all info you may be able to pass my way :)

Richard Turner

Where were the 14th Btn A&S based during the last two weeks of April?

Thanks

Robert

He is shown on Soldier Died in the Great War as having enlisted in the Army at Gainsborough, Lincs.

From the index for online medal index cards, he was previously numbered 3454 A&SH. This suggestes he previously served in a Territorial battalion of the A&SH before serving in the 14th. You can see the actual card by paying £3 - see

http://www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk/default.asp

and follow the links under WW1 Campaign Medals.

None of this proves that he originally enlisted in the A&SH, although the Highland regiments did trawl various areas of England for recruits.

Jock Bruce

Simmo.

I have been to the Argylls museum at Stirling Castle to do some research on my grandfather who was also in the 14th battalion.I wiil be going back to the museum some time in July to continue with this research and i will be given access to the battalion war diary.

If you want me to,i can check the diary for any reference to your family member.I will be at the museum for a whole day so taking some time out to do some research for you would not be a problem.

Also,later this year [no date yet] i will be going to the P.R.O to check my grandfathers medal index card and could also try for you.

Just let me know and i will do what i can.

Scott..................