The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3.inch Stokes Mortar Bomb

findabetterole

Help please!

For those of you who have original 3.inch Stokes Mortar Bombs.. could you please assist, and fill in the required measurements between any of the yellow sections indicated on the illustration below?

Gratefully appreciated.

Seph

post-18081-1262286498.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi all, I'm in the process of refurbishing a 3inch Stokes bomb. It has about 6inches by 2.5inches of dirty yellow paint remaining,is anyone familiar with this colour paint  being on a stokes bomb? Any help would be much appreciated.

The official body colour was 'Dirty White'. I did a bit of research on this when I restored an inert Stokes bomb and it seemed to vary in practice between sandy yellow and pale grey. (No two paint batches would have been identical) I therefore got some off the shelf sandy yellow and pale grey paint, did a 50/50 mix of the two and was very pleased with the resulting colour.

Going from left to right

2.3/4",  

3/8",

10.7/8",

3/8",

3,1/2" 

On 20 June 2016 at 10:51, peregrinvs said:

The official body colour was 'Dirty White'. I did a bit of research on this when I restored an inert Stokes bomb and it seemed to vary in practice between sandy yellow and pale grey. (No two paint batches would have been identical) I therefore got some off the shelf sandy yellow and pale grey paint, did a 50/50 mix of the two and was very pleased with the resulting colour.

Hi, thanks for the info,I take it it was a Matt finish paint? If you have a pic of the finished article I would be most interested. Did you apply the coloured bands as well.

thanks again.

One thing Gent's, if you are going to paint it to full specifications please mark it as INERT.  There is nothing worse than being called out to an item that appears to be correct and is actually a modern made up item.  The problem is, it is normally after the person who knows the detail has died or it's changed hands a couple of times and the detail has been lost.

It is very annoying, it causes us to take actions that are not required and if that is demolition in situ then potentially cause damage for no reason.

Thank you for your understanding,

Rod

On 6/21/2016 at 15:30, somme bhoy said:

Hi, thanks for the info,I take it it was a Matt finish paint? If you have a pic of the finished article I would be most interested. Did you apply the coloured bands as well.

thanks again.

Pics attached. It looks slightly more yellow to the naked eye. Do a half inch red band half an inch under the top plate and a one inch band around the middle. The latter can be green or pink depending on the explosive type.

Stokes repainted 1.jpg

Stokes repainted 2.jpg

Stokes repainted 3.jpg