The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Wexford War Dead (Just published- details)

ballyhale

Not a book review - but details from my local paper 30/12/2009 this book has just been published:

"The Wexford War Dead" - A History of the Casualties of the World Wars by Tom Burnell and Margaret Gilbert. Foreward by Kevin Myers. 336 pages, illustrated, Nonsuch Publishing,

119 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Paperback. Retail price 20 euro.

Thanks

Gerard

The publishers made the mistake of stating on the cover that it covered ww1 and ww2, what a mess. It covers the 874 Wexford men who died in ww1 only. The list of the 874 names are in the Gorey Echo this week.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi,

Has anyone seen a copy of the book? I would be interested to know if it contains portraits of the fallen? It is described as illustrated--but that can mean anything!

Cheers, Robert

There are 195 images in the book, mostly photographs taken from newspapers or given to the authors to use. It also includes any articles in the County newspapers of the period written about a Wexford casualty. If an article about a particular Wexfordman was found in a newspaper from a different county, that is also included. I can do lookups if you like.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the offer, I wonder if you could have a look for Lieut. Thomas Kynaston Walker, 1/Irish Guards, who was killed in action on 24th April, 1916. He was a son of Captain T.J.Walker of Tykillen, Wexford.

Also, Sec.Lieut Walter Henry Mountiford Westropp-Dawson, 2/Cheshire Regt, who was killed in action 24th May, 1915. He was the elder son of Francis Walter Westropp-Dawson of Charlesfort, Co.Wexford; Upton, Co.Carlow and Frondeg, Holyhead, who was a magistrate for Co.Wexford, 1915 (High Sheriff, 1899) and was High Sheriff of Co.Carlow 1911.

Any information would be useful, particularly a photo and details of Sec.Lieut. Westropp-Dawson.

Many thanks, Robert

none of my Doyles from Solsborough/Enniscorthy or Neills/O'Neills from Kiltealy/Askin Villar were killed during WW1 but this book will be on my purchase list for 2010.

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much indeed for the speedy reply, I wish that I could type with such speed!! I do have a photo of Lieut. Walker but sadly I have never found one of Sec. Lieut. Westropp-Dawson. Walter W-D's story is particularly sad in that he joined his battalion in France on the 20th May and was killed in action at Bellewarde on the 24th May, age 21. His name appears on the War Memorial at Holyhead.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards, Robert

Glad to help Robert.

There were 9 Doyles from Enniscorthy died in ww1 no O'Neills from Kiltealy though.

Glad to help.

Regards.

Tom

Hi Tom,

If it's not too much trouble I wonder if you could have a quick look for this chap for me please?

Bombardier 76755 Patrick Quirke, 5 Bty, 45 Bde RFA. Killed in action 27th June 1916.

If it helps, he was of Coollycarney, Ballindaggin, Enniscorthy.

Many thanks and best regards

Steve

Hello Steve. No picture, sorry.

QUIRKE, PATRICK. Rank: Bombardier. Regiment or Service: Royal Field Artillery. Unit: 5th Bty. 45th Bde. Age at Death: 25. Date of Death: 27-June-1916. Service No: 76755. Born in Wexford, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of James and Ellen Quirke of Coollycarney, Ballindaggin, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. C. 1. Cemetery: Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension in France.

There were 4 Quirk/Quirke's from Wexford killed in ww1.

Regards.

Tom.