The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Gardeners of Salonika - Alan Palmer

Rockdoc

This is a reprint of the book, first published in 1965, that covers the Salonika Campaign and its aftermath. I found it to be well-written and easy to read. It has a broader and, hence, less-detailed scope than Under the Devil's Eye but is a perfect companion volume because it gives the background to the whole episode. For example, it discusses the tensions and politicking between the various allied nations, which is always to be expected, and between the commanders of the various armies, which I did not. Sarrail, in particular, comes across as a most disagreeable man who was much disliked but whose political connections kept him in position even when other nations were calling for his head.

This edition lacks the end-paper maps mentioned in the text but the Austro-Hungarian maps available on-line should help fill that gap.

To summarise, it's rare to be able to say that a book of this type is hard to put down but I read this one for hours at a time. I'd say it's a must for anyone with an interest in this corner of WW1.

Keith

It is a very good and informative book and one which I consider to be the 'standard text book' on the campaign.

I also have Cyril Falls' Military Operation in Macedonia, Volume II but that is less memorable and a harder read, for me. I suppose that comes from that being an Official History, requiring a formal style of prose, while Palmer was able to write in a freer manner. Under the Devil's Eye remains my main reference book and my copy is covered in post-it notes so that I can find certain sections more quickly but the background coverage in The Gardeners of Salonika and its breadth mean that it will also gain the same kind of decoration in time.

Malcolm, modern maps of the front-line areas are impossible to obtain in large scales so the best references to the positions come from WW1 maps from the National Archives.

Keith