The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The cover picture of The Last Fighting Tommy

Kurgan

Hi,

I like a lot of people have The Last Fighting Tommy, I think the image on the cover is an excellent photo, on the reverse of the audio book (I know I'm lazy) it says 'cover image Imperial War Museum'. I have another book 'The First World War in photographs' which lists all the photos at the back by Q number. Does anyone know the Q number of the picture on the cover of The Last Fighting Tommy? Or is it available as a picture somewhere?

Many Thanks

Martin

Hi,

I like a lot of people have The Last Fighting Tommy, I think the image on the cover is an excellent photo, on the reverse of the audio book (I know I'm lazy) it says 'cover image Imperial War Museum'. I have another book 'The First World War in photographs' which lists all the photos at the back by Q number. Does anyone know the Q number of the picture on the cover of The Last Fighting Tommy? Or is it available as a picture somewhere?

Many Thanks

Martin

Came across this image on google titled british soldiers about to go on a trench raid near Arras, the cover of the paperback "the last fighting tommy"says the explosion (not visible on this pic)is added from another picture.

I seem to remember that some years ago this photo, and others from the same sequence that have been used many times, were captioned as being troops taking part in a daylight raid at Arras, but there was no proof that this was so.

Wherever it is or was it doesn't look 'staged' to me - I think you can feel the tension in the men's postures.

Bernard

York16

Many thanks for the picture, thats definately the one (minus the explosion). I agree it doesn't look staged at all, looks like its really about to happen, whatever that is, but it is very light.

Martin

Unusual how none of them appear to be wearing any equipment, aside from the tin hats - even gas mask bags! I saw a caption that shortly after it was taken a shell hit and many of those shown were either killed or wounded - although given the reliability of other photo captions I treated it with a pinch of salt large enough to grit my driveway

Martin,

The image IWM ref number is Q 5098 and is from a series of three, the other two are Q 5100 and Q 5105 . The captions read that its a raiding party and are men from the 9th Bn Scottish Rifles at the moment of attack. Photographer Lt J W Brooke 1917

Regards

Chris

Those pals with old copies of Stand To! might look up two articles on this subject.

No 3, Winter 1981, 'Evidence in Camera' by the late Alf Peacock and No4 Spring 1982 'Unknown Raiders' by W Alex Frame.

Interesting...................

Bob