The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Driving in Belgium

healdav

Mick - not really contradictory. They can stop you - but they must have a reason to breathalise you once they've stopped you. Over Crimbo, North Wales police had 'Operation Tube' in which they stopped batches of ten cars, and of those ten, they would breathalise only those drivers that, in the officers' opinion, merited such, according to either the answers given, or circumstantial reasons in that particular vehicle (such as smell or passenger inebriation).

Can I just say to those upstanding types who proudly boast that they never drink and drive (which includes myself) that you actually don't have to drink to be caught by these lower limits.

I was listening to Irish radio last year, apparently they are toying with the idea of bringing down the limits, they had some medical chappie on who said that one of the problems with considerably lowering the limits is that other - quite innocent - factors could have an influence on breath tests and in countries where there is a very low limit he would advise anyone caught by a breath test should insist on a blood test to confirm the presnce of alcohol.

Can I just say to those upstanding types who proudly boast that they never drink and drive (which includes myself) that you actually don't have to drink to be caught by these lower limits.

I was listening to Irish radio last year, apparently they are toying with the idea of bringing down the limits, they had some medical chappie on who said that one of the problems with considerably lowering the limits is that other - quite innocent - factors could have an influence on breath tests and in countries where there is a very low limit he would advise anyone caught by a breath test should insist on a blood test to confirm the presnce of alcohol.

In the Czech Republic the limit is zero alcohol in the blood! This is absolutely stupid as if there isn't any alcohol at all blood will clot. You always have some.

No that too many people take a lot of notice of the limit from whatI could see. Litres were still being served and drunk.

I was stopped by the police last year in Brussels during evening rush hour for driving on the shoulder of the road to avoid traffic jam. I hadnt been drinking, but there must have been something about my demeanor that made the officer suspicious as he was going to admister breathylizer test. Couldnt get the machine working properly so he cut me loose.